Sick two week old Dominique with one closed, white eye

Jul 29, 2020
Hello everyone, i have a baby two week old chicken that has been sick for about 4 days, hopefully this sounds familiar to someone.
She has had one of her eyes closed starting three or four days ago and when she opened it as i was putting colloidal silver solution on it, i noticed the eye was entirely white. Not cloudy, but completely, opaque white.
Shes also much smaller than her siblings, pretty inactive as she has been underneath the brooder plate hunched up whenever i check in on her, and not eating much although i did see her take a couple bites yesterday. She has greenish bluish diarrhea. No other symptoms such as runny nose or eye.
All chicks in the brooder came from the same hatchery, and it was great weather when shipped. All the other chicks are doing great.

My brooder is a large plastic cattle trough, i have a brinsea ecoglow for warmth and take the temperature regularly, and use pine shavings. i also use the yellow vitamin pack in their water.

Im not sure what to give her to help, if i should try using oxytetracycline or not as perhaps it is a virus?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the chick and the eye?

If it's not eating/drinking well, then you may need give it drops of water to help hydrate it. Once you have her hydrated, see if she will eat a little wet chick starter.

Here are a couple of pictures of the chick, one showing the affected eye and one from the other side for comparison. Note her small size. Each of her siblings, hatched on the same day, is at least twice as big as she is!
What does the eye look like open?
Have you tried flushing it out with saline and seeing if any pus or debris needs to be removed?

She may not be as big because she's not eating? Do you need to help her eat?

Yes, ive tried flushing it with eye drops and it doesnt look like theres anything in it, debris or pus or anything.
Ive isolated her and shes pecked at her food a couple times, but even treats dont seem to interest her much. I had been drippping an egg yolk mixture onto her beak and got a bit of that into her. But even that she didnt really want, whereas her siblings went crazy over those leftovers.
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, ive tried flushing it with eye drops and it doesnt look like theres anything in it, debris or pus or anything.
Ive isolated her and shes pecked at her food a couple times, but even treats dont seem to interest her much. I had been drippping an egg yolk mixture onto her beak and got a bit of that into her. But even that she didnt really want, whereas her siblings went crazy over those leftovers.
Thanks for the reply!
I'm sorry that's she's not doing better.
Sometimes all you can do is try to keep them eating/drinking, but some chicks for one reason or another just fail to thrive.

Just an update for anyone else with this problem. She's still alive and doesnt seem to be uncomfortable, so i wasnt going to euthanize her until i think shes suffering. But at six weeks old, shes still the size of a 2 week old chick, although her wings have grown her body hasnt at all.
She has one gentle Jersey Giant friend to keep her company and seems content.

Here are a couple of pictures of the chick, one showing the affected eye and one from the other side for comparison. Note her small size. Each of her siblings, hatched on the same day, is at least twice as big as she is!

Attachments

• IMG-5270.JPG
    IMG-5270.JPG
    444 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-5271.JPG
    IMG-5271.JPG
    436.3 KB · Views: 10
As @Wyorp Rock already mentioned, it looks like a classic fail to thrive "runt chick". Whether the chick didn't absorb its yolk sac all the way, it got trampled on during shipment, or its parents were nutritionally deficient, the most you can do is make sure their eating and drinking regularly, not getting bullied by the other chicks, and are staying warm since most birds feeling unwell are usually hypothermic. Offering finely mashed scrambled eggs every so often, and very carefully dripping a drop of poultry vitamins on its beak may help as well.

Back
Top Bottom