Sick, weak duck, what is wrong, what treatment?

Just a follow up to my original post, as I get a few enquiries from time to time from those experiencing similar illness in their ducks.

My little Campbell duck initially took sick in January 2011. She was very sick and I didn't expect her to live.
She made a full recovery and is still around today (2016), very well, and very much the matriarch of the flock bossing everyone around, including the drakes.

I have observed over the years that the slightest tremble in a leg of any of the ducks is a warning sign of impending illness. My immediate reaction is to dose the entire flock using garlic in their favourite food. I use garlic as a homeopathic treatment for bacterial or fungal infection and as a wormer, as it has these medicinal properties. While garlic in high doses and constant feeding would be toxic to the ducks, I find that a small, regular dose works like a herbal medicine treating the infection without harm to the duck. To give you an idea of the dosage that I use, my flock consists of three Campbells and three Indian Runners, and I crush a clove or two into a dish of a wet mash. I use one or two cloves depending upon size of the garlic cloves, the amount of food and the current health state of the ducks.

In addition, I have taken to the practice of feeding this at three monthly intervals to the entire flock as a preventative measure, with one feeding timed to coincide with the commencement of the wet season, when bacteria become active in soil and water in my tropical climate.

This is just what I have found works with my flock, in my climate.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I have a Campbell duck who is currently really sick and I have no idea what to do and it's scaring me. I don't want her to die. Can someone PLEASE tell me what to do, what to give her, etc ASAP. I'm scared she won't be alive tomorrow morning so please help me asap!

hugs.gif

What does sick look like, how long has it been going on?

What does she eat? How often fed, always water with food?

Is there a drake in the flock?

Any recent changes in her life?

Laying? Stopped laying?

Has it been very rainy? Very hot? Very dry?

Where is she right now?

I had the same problem last week. With my duck it turned out to be a nician deficiancy.

I do, however, have a problem of my own.
PLEASE READ:
My 26-day-old little hybrid duckling has gotten very sick. Her neck looked swollen, so I felt around and one half of her neck was swollen, and the other was fine. she started coughing, so I kept an eye on her. She started vomiting uncontrollably for fifteen minutes, and I separated her from her siblings immediately. She was always very fresh, and could spend hours trying to escape. She escaped the bin I put her in and went ove rot her siblings. They're now in separate rooms.
I checked her neck just a few minutes after the vomiting and it was fine again. Could this be a sickness, or was she maybe having an allergic reaction? I want to know so that I can treat her and prevent it from her siblings. One of them ate her vomit, so I am very worried about that one. He's the only chick of my (now dead) prized Indian runner. (Yes, they are siblings. Different fathers. I have two male ducks and one female, all different breeds. Stuff kinda happened and one chick belongs to one father and two to the other.)

Keep doing what you can with water, I haven't had to use epsom salts but this may be the best thing.

Try to get some charcoal in her - it absorbs toxins, as you know.  Perhaps mix some up in water and give it to her with a dropper - I need a helper for this, someone to hold the duck while I open her bill and squeeze medicine down her throat.

Keep her warm, let her see and hear her friends - I sometimes bring a buddy in who can lie right next to the sick duck.

Do you have any antibiotics you can give her?  Even apple cider vinegar in water?

ETA:  vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics

you've been doing well to try the yogurt and honey, I think

Back
Top Bottom