sick welsummer baby

cheri222

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Erie PA
Our chicks are 7 days old today. The Welsummers are the smallest of the 6 chicks with one being much smaller. With the heat and humidity here, it was near 100 today and I shut off the heat light, no one huddled or made a fuss. I noticed the small one looked limper than the rest. He is acting like his leg is hurt, can't walk well (he walked fine earlier today). I now have him in a box with electrolyte water, cooked egg yolk and crumbles. He is starved and eating non stop. Weight bearing a little better. So was it heat? injury? just being the runt and not a healthy or bossy? Should I keep him segregated for now till I am sure he is healthy? I just noticed the other ws has a spot without feathers on his wing, all feathers picked off. So now he is in the box too. Im not sure who the meanie is. We have 2 cochins and 2 easter eggers also. Isn't 7 days early for this?
thanks
Cheryl

He probably just hurt his leg. Keep it seperated until it is better. Chicks start soon with pecking, when I got my 3 day olds they had already started pecking, only did it a few times though.

Well as far as I can tell she is dying, barely breathing and won't open eyes or move at all. I just can't go to bed and leave her alone to die. Husband thinks Im stupid. I wish I could end her suffering, but can't bring myself to do it. Thanks for listening.

That is not good
hmm.png
I would keep an eye on the other chicks just in case. It could be from stress of the other chicks picking on it and not getting enough food or something, or it could have a deformity of some sort.

Sorry that the chick looks like it won't make it
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom