Sick White rock chicks can't walk

Sojourner2

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
My 4 week old chicks are dropping one by one. They all seem fine and I find one unstable -falling over very warm to the touch eyes closing- every day it seems I have another one. Are they having issues due to rapid growth?

My 4 week old chicks are dropping one by one. They all seem fine and I find one unstable -falling over very warm to the touch eyes closing- every day it seems I have another one. Are they having issues due to rapid growth?
Probably a coccidiosis overload. Some symptoms are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5-7 days,do not give vitamins during treatment,but give after treatment is complete. Make sure medicated water is the only source of drinking water.

Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and the leading cause of death among young birds and can kill very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat such as Corid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom