Sick with worry! HELP!

I had this issue when I had one hen and one rooster left from my flock. I thought it would be a good idea to get three pullets to give the older hen a break from the rooster. After I introduced the new hens, everything was fine for a couple of weeks, but then all the sudden the rooster started attacking the older hen and not letting her get near the other hens (she wasn't sick and oddly started out great being the dominate hen.) I really don't know what happened or why he turned on her, but it was brutal. I have a crate that is used for sickness but still in the same coop with the others and moved her into that so she could heal. I bought a smaller coop with a run and put her in there and she has been happy ever since, even started laying eggs again. Every now and then the others will go up to her pen and they might have a little tussle through the fence, but other than that, things have been fine.

I had this issue when I had one hen and one rooster left from my flock. I thought it would be a good idea to get three pullets to give the older hen a break from the rooster. After I introduced the new hens, everything was fine for a couple of weeks, but then all the sudden the rooster started attacking the older hen and not letting her get near the other hens (she wasn't sick and oddly started out great being the dominate hen.) I really don't know what happened or why he turned on her, but it was brutal. I have a crate that is used for sickness but still in the same coop with the others and moved her into that so she could heal. I bought a smaller coop with a run and put her in there and she has been happy ever since, even started laying eggs again. Every now and then the others will go up to her pen and they might have a little tussle through the fence, but other than that, things have been fine.
I'm so happy she's ok! Yeah, this was one of ten hens raised together. She was always shunned a little and picked on by them because she's very different and was a slow developer. I have her in the house in a dog cage until fully healed and then we will try to modify our coop to be two coops with two different runs so that she doesn't have the stress of rejoining the flock. We plan to get her some chicks in spring of her breed to keep her company.

You might need to soak a bit longer, some 20 minutes or so.
I'm going to give her another bath. When I was picking up the stool softener, I found a nice sized tub to make it easier. I'll give her a good soak after I give her the pill and some more coconut oil. Crossing fingers. I never thought I'd be hoping to see a big pile of chicken poop! hahahahah

Thanks for your help but I'm sad to report that Brownie died. We managed to get some of the poop to drain, but the smell was horrible. I decided to give her a break from all the poking and prodding for a while. When I came back in just now to check on her, she was laying in the corner of the nesting box where I left her and she was dead. Gonna go cry myself to sleep now.😭😭😭

Her name is Brownie. :D:D (Real original, I know) because she was the only dark brown chick that came with the bunch. We think she is a rumpless Araucana. We have been treating the wounds with a poultry wound spray and that part is healing nicely. It's just the pooper problem now and the broken toe. Otherwise she seems to be on her way to recovery. She's the underdog and a real trooper! We just love her. She'll stay inside until the weather warms up probably. Unless it becomes a huge issue.
Brownie is a great name! I love araucanas only thing is I don't have one! Can I see more pictures of her? She is a beautiful girl! I hope she lives! I love her colors!

Thanks for your help but I'm sad to report that Brownie died. We managed to get some of the poop to drain, but the smell was horrible. I decided to give her a break from all the poking and prodding for a while. When I came back in just now to check on her, she was laying in the corner of the nesting box where I left her and she was dead. Gonna go cry myself to sleep now.😭😭😭
No! Not Brownie! I'm so sorry I know you did everything you could and she was definitely loved and cared for by you she was so lucky to have you! Did you save any pictures of her? Did you hatch any babies from her? I'm so sorry.

Oh nooooo… I’ve been reading this thread and I didn’t expect such bad news :( I’m so sorry, she was a good girl! And you have done all you could, I don’t think you could have done anything else.
Sending virtual hugs, it’s very sad to lose a pet :(

I am so very sorry! :hugs

All the beating her up from her fellow hens must have caused an egg to break inside of her which usually leads to severe infections and death within three days. This would also explain all the yellowish nasty smelling liquid coming out after unplugging her vent.

I am so very sorry! :hugs

All the beating her up from her fellow hens must have caused an egg to break inside of her which usually leads to severe infections and death within three days. This would also explain all the yellowish nasty smelling liquid coming out after unplugging her vent.
That must have been it. I'm heartbroken.

Back
Top Bottom