Sick young chick... Thoughts and advice

FireFlower4

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 6, 2017
A Buff that is no more than 2 weeks old. She has been sick and isolated for a few days now. Started with a wet sounding "cheep" and quite a bit of head shaking. Shaking to the point of flopping. Sounds and looks like what a sneeze might be?? Eyes closed mostly and opening and closing of the mouth rhythmically with a "cheep" every second or so, like a squeaky wheel. Not eating or drinking much. I have been dropping her some homemade electrolyte drink and today gave her a few drops of vitamins. She is very "clingy" so definitely lonely. She appeared much better and sounded normal on Tuesday. My heat lamp bulb (only 1 week old) burn out on Tuesday night at some point and the next morning the symptoms came back. I assume she got cold and that did not help at all.

Any and all thoughts/advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Can you put her back in with the other chicks to get warm? She needs about 85 degrees to be warm. Whatever she was exposed to, so have they. Watch to see if the others bully her. I would pick her up and dip her beak as often as you can several times an hour to get her hydrated. Add some water to her feed to make it soupy and see if she will eat. Sneezing can be due to dust in the feed or in the pine shavings, or from environmental things.

Last edited:
She has been kept warm, only the night the bulb burn out did she get cold.
I have been giving her water and also water with nutria drench. She is not eating. Lethargic with a single cheep every second or so. She constantly does this. Unsure if she even sleeps.
She is still energetic when holding her in a way she disapproves of, but that's about it.

Any thoughts on getting food in her???

I would be reluctant to feed her if she is lethargic and gasping. Fluids with electrolytes would be best a drop at a time. You can put the watery chick feed up to her beak to take if she will peck at it. I hope she will gain some strength to eat. Viruses, MG, and fungal infection from mold in the bedding could be possible causes. If you can find the antibiotic Tylan 50 injectable in a local feed store, you could give her 1/4 ml 2-3 times a day by mouth. A 3 ml syringe with a 20 gauge needle is required to withdraw it, and then remove the needle to give it orally.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom