Sicken chicken

jlouise

Hatching
May 4, 2020
I have a Rhode Island Red hen, she’s probably...3-4 years old. She has a pale floppy comb, poopy vent area, a
D9A854F4-B8E6-4507-85F1-098C6C03C318.jpeg
nd just acting sick in general. Not going with the rest of the flock, hasn’t been laying for a hot minute to my knowledge. She tried to ‘roost’ on the ground outside of the coop a couple nights ago. She’s an excellent hen, but I’m kind of at a loss with what to do with her! Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 82AEC987-B6F2-4888-8ACF-7C4F677644B9.jpeg
    82AEC987-B6F2-4888-8ACF-7C4F677644B9.jpeg
    563.3 KB · Views: 1
Sorry to hear about your hen.

Could you bring her somewhere that you could do a complete physical examination on her? Check her eyes from any discoloration, mouth for any sour smell, or lesions, her whole body, mainly under her vent and wings for any ectoparasites, her vent for any sign of flystrike, and her abdominal area for any sign of distention, swelling or hardness?

For more information regarding preforming a physical examination on poultry, read here.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

Do you know when the last time she laid an egg, were they deformed at all? Do you have a picture of her poop?

Sorry to hear about your hen.

Could you bring her somewhere that you could do a complete physical examination on her? Check her eyes from any discoloration, mouth for any sour smell, or lesions, her whole body, mainly under her vent and wings for any ectoparasites, her vent for any sign of flystrike, and her abdominal area for any sign of distention, swelling or hardness?

For more information regarding preforming a physical examination on poultry, read here.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

Do you know when the last time she laid an egg, were they deformed at all? Do you have a picture of her poop?

Due to these number of chickens I have, it’s truly hard to tell which eggs would have been hers. And the chickens are on egg strike atm due to heat stress, which I’m combating. I didn’t have the $ to take her to a vet, but I did my best by her and did a comprehensive eval of her myself, discovered she had flystrike. She was, unfortunately, too sick and I caught the problem too late and she sadly passed away. But I was able to at least make her comfortable. Thank you for your input. This was my first experience with flystrike, and I’m hoping and praying to make it my last to this extent!

Back
Top Bottom