Sickly, listless, sad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ssteiner, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    I have a 1 1/2 year old Partridge Rock who in the last week has not been herself. I've noticed that she has watery droppings (really just pure liquid) and her comb is a dull red. She's still walking around and taking dust baths, but she seems slower than usual. At night, she goes under the henhouse rather than into it and up on her roost like she usually does). I've noticed that her vent is all caked up (but not blocked) with dried droppings and she's kinda stinky. Her breathing sounds a little labored when I hold her. I have three other hens that seem fine. This is the first time I've had any problems. Any suggestions as to what the problem is? Will she come out of it? Thanks.

Scott

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nearly impossible to make a guess based on such limited information. I can tell you what I'd do if it was my bird, however.

I'd give her a bath and remove that caked poo around her vent. Once dry, I'd apply a good coating of Vicks or Vaseline to protect the skin around the vent from becoming sore or infected due to the diarrhea. She'd be separated from the others so I could see how much she's eating and drinking and to look for other symptoms. I'd give her "mush" made from regular feed and warm water, chopped scrambled eggs, and yogurt - foods that are easy on her gut. No foraging, no greens. Switch out her plain water for Pedialyte to replace the vital electrolytes lost due to diarrhea. The sugar in the Pedialyte will also help to keep her energy up if she's not eating well.

Then, I'd wait and watch for the next 24-48 hours to see if there's any improvement or decline in her condition. If she declines, update this thread with more info on her food/water intake, status of diarrhea, and any other observable symptoms.

3. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Update - - -

My 20 month old Partridge Rock (the subject of the post above) died today. I found her in the run - just looked asleep. Rigor still present so within the last several hours. Followed the advice in the original reply, added electrolytes and OTC antibiotic to their water, but perhaps too little, too late. She's buried in the back yard now.

My question: should I contine to medicate the remaining three hens for the next few days? The antibiotic recommends a five day course, and it's only been two. I don't want whatever killed her to kill them too, although they all seem fine right now. The one who died became sick probably 8 or 10 days ago.

Thanks for any advice.

4. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by