Sickness??

clifford258

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Greeneville,TN
Hey folks! my brown hubbard has been making a puring cat noise???? I thought this was just his sound but today when I started building on the the pin I noticed a sneeze like movement and sound please help?

welcome-byc.gif
Like Redsoxs says they can make a sound like that when they are broody(angry and warning you) chickens sometimes makes the purring sound when they are very content, like you scratched their itch, or rubbed them between the eyes and they start falling sleep. The two things, purring and sneezing maybe unrelated. Dust or wind may have brought on the sneezing or the type of bedding.

Oh oh I got it!!! Now I have only got one egg from my brown Hubbard in a week the other two what I think is pearl leghorns, I have a smaller skinny one and big fatter one, the big has laid two since Sunday one yesterday and one today. The small leghorn I haven't got any I know because the big one come off the hay bale screaming and I go look and there is egg where she was laying. The brown chicken I only got 1 and it was 1 day after I bought here. I would post pics so you all cam help me know the breed but I don't know how from my cell phone! :) Yal are the best thank you for all the help

Broody is when a hen feels the urge to hatch out chicks. She will sit on rocks, golf balls, or nothing and stay there trying to hatch them. While the hen does this she can often become very protective to the point where she screeches, bites, puffs up the feathers and is generally very unpleasant to deal with. She may also steal eggs from other hens. If other hens lay in her nest box, she will take those over too.

Broodies generally do not want to leave the nest to eat/drink or poop. You have to force them out at least once a day so they can do that. Depending on how strong the broody hormones are a hen can be in that state so long (especially if the eggs are infertile and will never hatch) that it threatens her life. If you don't have fertile eggs for her you could get some and slip them under her at night so she thinks they are hers.

New broodies may not follow thru as they are inexperienced- they may quit sitting on the nest after a few days and go back to being a normal chicken.

Back
Top Bottom