Sicky layer - turning purple

Sarah401

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
Hello
My hen is sick and I hove no idea what is wrong with her. I have 4 layers all approx 1 year old (I got them from a friend) and all summer they were laying 1 egg a day. She had slowed down some, but I know she laid an egg yesterday because she dropped it outside by the water dish! She has black by her bum, but it is above her vent and her comb is dark red almost purple.
Any ideas what is wrong with her?
I think I have attached pics (new to this posting thing!!)

16737_football_024.jpg

16737_football_025.jpg

Thanks so much
Sarah

I don't know what to tell you about the vent, but does it look like it was damaged at some point and healing wrong, or infected?? The comb being blue/purple usually indicates a respitory or vascular issue.

I can't help you other than that, I'm sorry.

What is the black by her vent like? Is it the actual skin turning black or is it a black mass? If its a mass: is it squishy or hard? Warm? Cold? Does it have a rancid smell?

About the comb, the purple is a sign of poor circulation.

It looks like necrotic tissue (like her skin is dying). She laid an egg 2 days ago outside when I was filling the water dish, she dropped it on the ground right in front of me. I did not notice anything wrong with her bum then - but I also did not look.
I wonder if she could have some circulation problem that is just now being noticed now that i t is cold out? I live in Michigan and it got pretty cold the other night and she is missing some feathers on her bum...

Sarah

I had to cull her, she was so weak she could not even pick her head up and her breathing was very labored. I didn't want her to suffer any longer. Thanks for all the ideas!
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom