Side (not corner!) hanging feeder

theophila

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Paradise Hills, San Diego, CA
Before anyone gets mad at me for being new, I have already searched both Google and the forums for this, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the specific information I want, so I was hoping some of you have exact recommendations.

I am looking for cup (or trough) type feeders I can hang on the 1/2" hardware cloth on the SIDE of my run. The reason for this is that I give my girls fermented feed, currently in just bowls from my cupboards, and since it's wet, it doesn't do well in one of those hanging gravity feeders, and if I put it on the ground, they like to scratch while eating and either immediately scratch the dirt into the feed or all the feed into the dirt. Either way, waste of feed. If I elevate the feeder, they flutter up and either knock the bowls over (I have currently have Seramas), or if I use a more stable bowl or plate, they perch on the edge and get it all dirty. I've purchased two of those galvanised hanging corner feeders that I currently use in the cheapy run that came attached to the coop I'd purchased from a person on Craigslist, but we've just built a larger run, and there's no way they can hang on a 2x4.

Other plastic cup feeders I've seen either don't specific the size of the hanging tabs, or they're 1" width - too wide to fit on the hardware cloth.

No one gets mad on BYC!
gig.gif

Don't know how large a feeder you need, but the only thing I have seen that might hang on hardware cloth are rabbit feeders. I have seen them at Tractor supply, try searching for those on line. I have seen examples where folks use them for grit, oyster shell and other treats. \

If you need something larger, you may be able to find a way to tie something larger…but if it filled is too heavy could distort your wire and you may consider adding a cross piece of wood to attach something?

I have one of those in my chicken tractor works well, though small. Very easy to hang a threaded piece sticks through the fencing and a large plastic "washer" threads onto it to hold it in place. If you cut your fencing you can set them up to be filled from the outside of the pen.

I'm hoping to find time this weekend to hang a gutter I bought at Home depot. My idea is to cut it to the length I need (about 4' or 5' long I'm thinking for just 6 chickens) and bolt it through the back of the gutter onto the hardware cloth. I've been searching for the best feeder for my run, and I think this may be the thing... to keep from having waste on the ground -- and it should be fine for fermented feed. I have the end caps to snap onto each end of the gutter. Think I paid $6 or $8 for the gutter (8' long) and $1.50 for each end cap. I plan to just put the feed out in the a.m. -- just enough for them for the day as I don't want to leave food outside over night and the gutter won't be covered.

Back
Top Bottom