Siding material, ventilation, and other coop questions.

Pics
When building a coop, can you just use plywood for siding? I mentioned it and was told that plywood wasn't meant to be used for things like that because it will not hold up well. Is this true? Is there something that you need to treat the wood with? Would painting it first help? How does this work?

Plywood works. I used scrap plywood painted it. 6’x8’x6’ coop. When I noticed some weathering I covered it with roofing paper, much later picked up some metal siding. And covered it, they now have a nice insulated weather proof coop. Some of us use scrap because ... it’s a Chicken coop and we don’t want 500.00 in a coop to get a few eggs. Yes the chicks are sort of pets, the kids love them. And they are an entertaining part on the farm. But stil you can be frugal. Oops paint, scrap wood, end runs of metal roofing for1.00 a foot. Just be sure to use treated wood for the support legs. Ps I have a construction degree and been in the building business for 47 years. So the nay sayers can have their opinions.

Back
Top Bottom