Sierra Madre says "Get rid of these hens NOW"

eggsbenedict

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Sierra Madre, CA
Re: ADOPT Three big healthy HENS in Sierra Madre, CA all born in May 2013. A Rhode Island Red, a Black Australorp, and a White Cochin.

Despite our best efforts to maintain a happy healthy environment for these lovable pets, our next door neighbor made it clear to us that she thinks chickens are "nasty!" and noisy and finally convinced animal control to come measure our property ....which it turns out is just too small (according to local ordinance) for a hen house. So... here we are, sadly, needing to find -quickly- a safe home for these three egg laying ladies.

Last edited:
I am very sorry your neighbors are heartless "jerks" to think hens are loud! Theyre lucky you didnt get a rooster!

I wish I can take these hens for you but Im all the way in Michigan.

You can try taking this photo and putting it on an add and posting it at pet stores, use craigslist, farm stores, even hardware stores.

I hope you find a good home for them

Make no mistake, hens can be loud. Most mornings these girls squawk and bawk, announcing that they want attention or that an egg is coming to pass; no one knows what they are saying but we all hear it.

Maybe since they are my babies its like music to my hears but even when Im out on my property and hear them, its not loud. Sometimes I can hear them if the Alpha rooster is upset because the other rooster did something he didnt like. But its not bad to the point where the whole neighborhood can hear.

Its a real shame your neighbor thinks theyre "nasty." Instead of her going to animal control she could have easily talked to you about it and come to a solution of how to keep their "noise" under control.

You can also try petting zoos around your area (if you have any). I know some of the ones here take unwanted farm animals. They either keep them or they get fostered until they are adopted out.

i would see if my property was to small for a dogloo and put that up... if the animal control said no its to small for a dog house then i would make sure they told all that in my neighborhood and make sure that anyone with a dog house that was told their yard was to small for it that it was my neighbors fault..

Everything worked out well. Our hens have a new home nearby, with a huge yard, children the same age as ours so they can get lots of attention and we will visit as often as we like.
Thanks for all your help (backyardchickens members) for all your advice and support. We had a nice 9 month experience raising the hens.
And for the record, we were forced to move a few months ago and we came to this new house and yard which appeared ideal for the coop and our pets ....you just never know who's gonna be your neighbor and how they are going to react. About six doors down there is a backyard, just like ours, with chickens, but because their neighbors dont complain and their hens are quiet, they have no problems with this Sierra Madre ordinance; Chicken coop must be 50 feet from all occupied dwellings.

Im so sorry you had to go through all of this but yes it was an amazing outcome. Theyre close by so you can visit. Its disappointing how judgmental people can be with certain animals. My 2 bantom roosters crow a lot and i fear the neighbor might say something even though we each own 3 acres of property. Everyone else has farm animals but him and the other neighbors down the road bcuz theyre a little older and retired. We are spaced out but I feel like writing him a note saying if my roosters are ever a bother (w the crowing) to feel free and talk to me about it. I would gladly get rid of my roosters before i let my hens go.

Back
Top Bottom