Sigh - dog issue

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jjthink, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jjthink

jjthink Crowing

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thanks SS. Love the idea of the dog folks working together to get a fenced area in the little park. While I don't think they will it makes the point [​IMG]

green
    , that would be an inspired sign [​IMG] (one I can't post but..)

MyKid, I'm going to get a copy of the ord to see what it actually says. This is the adjacent town but these things tend to be contagious..... [​IMG]

JJ

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Please don't be offended, but I could not imagine letting people run all over me! Which, again no offense, seems to be what you're willing to let the neighbors do! Again I have to ask: what exactly will you be losing if you so offend them by informing them that their dogs do not need to be on your property? I do understand that many people are non-confrontational and sometimes that is best, but come on! If you won't nip this in the bud now your chickens will forever be on the bottom rung of the "totem pole". I have NO doubt that you are a wonderful sweet and kind person, but they are taking complete and total advantage of your refusal to confront them determinedly on this subject. Now all the neighbors are going to start with their "signals" to let YOU know YOUR chickens aren't safe on YOUR property and as word spreads, you will no doubt find the only time you can enjoy your birds in your yard will be after dark, what with summer approaching.

Again, please don't take offense...the southern loudmouth in me is itching to visit your neighbors and start the whole finger pointing mannerism and shouting.

3. jjthink

jjthink Crowing

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    BDG, Come visit!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] I totally hear you re: the signal thing - I am thinking on how to address this in a way that doesn't leave me with 3 a.m. as the only 'safe' time to be out with my birds [​IMG] I have on a number of occasions clearly conveyed that it is not safe for dogs to be loose and to come onto my property..

Much as I'd like to, I can't get into all the particulars of why I am trying to handle this in an especially generous way. The short version is that there is already legal action re: the 'neighbor' flooding me out and I've already had 2 other 'neighbors' ticketed for having their dogs at large and repeatedly invading my property. I am trying not to add to the 'enemy' list because 1. the neighbors that are the subject of this thread are generally very thoughtful neighbors and 2. all these people are intertwined and collectively and even individually have power. I could end up losing my birds if I'm not careful. Trust me that I know the politics involved here. Also, if a person gets all legal and/or threatening with so many people, there becomes the presumption that that person is the problem, is litigous, is cuckoo, not everybody else. And as a result, the odds of success in any one of the 'cases' is diminished. Animal control laughed when Ellie and I were injured by the dog whose person I did have ticketed, saying 'dogs will be dogs'. It is truly a complex situation that requires some finesse. I always stand up for truth and justice but when it gets this complicated it has to be strategic.

JJ

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I understand and am so glad I didn't offend you as I would never want to do that. I'm just frustrated FOR you. It's not fair but I know neighborhood politics often supercede right or wrong. My neighbor/landlord came to me asking me to keep my bulldog contained because she killed a chicken that got loose. Being a chicken lover myself, I immediately kept my dog on leash at all times when outdoors. I also repaid her with her choice of two chickens from my own flock. All was good until her own dog started digging into my coop to get any scraps I fed my chickens and I kept having to make delicate repairs and spent a good deal of money to only come home the next day and find the door busted down or the wire ripped open or holes dug. Admittedly, her dog has NEVER tried to harm the chickens themselves, but if they are left loose unattended in the yard they are open to attack by hawks, wandering dogs from the neighborhood, cats, and even my own dogs if they are chained and the chickens wander too close. When I brought it to the neighbors attention, she chained her dog for 3 days. 3. Now he is in my backyard as we speak laying on my deck in the sun. I love the dog. He is smart and protective of the property but he is a glutton and will eat anything he can scrounge. The only solution I have found to work is to ONLY feed my chickens their actual chicken feed. Even bland oatmeal draws this dog. But, neighborhood politics being what they are and the position I am in, I have no recourse either in my circumstance so I do understand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: