*sigh* I'm loosing my touch. (Warning: Hi-jacked by Em)

Quote:
My mom was one of 8 children and her parents house was the one nearly all the neighbor kids played at, because of this my grandmother had a firm and hard rule (one of the only things she insisted on without any negotiation from granddad was any animal male or female (remember the phrase never cross a mother bear same holds true for some farm animals) that acted the least bit violent for little or no reason (if you where teasing or being cruel to an animal you got whatever it wanted to give you) the animal was to be put down or sold ASAP regardless of hassle or loss no questions asked no exceptions. It cost my grandparents some money from time to time but injury from animal was almost null.

My two 'bull' stories:

First story involves my father.  For circumstances or reasons which will be forever unknown my father entered a lounging barn with our Ayreshire bull.  Bull took exception to his presence and pinned Dad against the wall.  His horns were so large that they spanned my father and kept his head from making contact.  My Mom said that she heard, "Dorothy, bring a hayfork quickly".  Apparently the bull was very respectful of the hayfork and parents were able to exit the barn relatively unscathed.

Second story involved a neighbor who ran a Holstein bull with his cows.  One day he went to bring a newborn calf back to the barn.  The bull got between him and his tractor/wagon and proceeded to work the neighbor over.  At that time the old farm dog (a non descript black old lady) came to his rescue and bought him enough time to get back to the tractor.  Long time 'outside' dog immediately became a 'house pet' and bull became hamburger.  Neighbor was banged up but not life threatening because of old Queenie.

Even the most 'gentle' male animals have the potential for violence.

These storie remind me of my childhood. We had a jersey bull that took a major dislike to one of my cousins. Wouldn't even let him in the field. Anyone else was fine.

I was surprised to see an Ayreshire mentioned. I haven't seen any recently. When I was in school (elementary/high) there were several farms near us that had the.

apteryx, we're talking 75 to 80 years ago on that Ayreshire. You're dealing with an old guy here.
old.gif

I went to Rutgers University - back when it was called Rutgers College of Agriculture and Science. They had a herd of Jersey cattle and maintained a group of breeding bulls. They were the meanest creatures imagineable. They would try to hook you over the doors to their stables - I had great respect for them. The cows on the other hand were beautiful, gentle and calm.

Back
Top Bottom