*sigh* I'm loosing my touch. (Warning: Hi-jacked by Em)

Come on, that's cute.

Ok, here's one that will make you warm and fuzzy. I hope, unless you are allergic.

idunno.gif
it does look kinda sneezy

Oh no Em. Hope they've at least got you feeling better. Let's hope this is the only necessary hospital trip until it's hatching time.

Here's a picture of a pregnant bunny to cheer you up.

Blondie has quite impressive ears.

Bunny, at what point of their pregnancies do your bunnies usually start pulling off fur to pad the nest?
Betsy says she should get to be the Easter Pony - the ears are standard equipment on her!

IME, the "typical" doe starts gathering hay about a week before she's due, but doesn't start pulling fur until just before or just after the babies are born. Of course, as I often tell people, the rabbits don't read the books (they just chew on them); each doe is a bit different, and they all have their own pattern. A lot of does will pull a little bit of fur a day or two before the kits actually arrive. The "official" gestation period for rabbits is 31 days, but most of my does usually kindle on day 32. I had one that always went on day 30; the earliest I've had a healthy litter born was day 27, and that was a big doe with a big litter (14, as I recall). Litters that get born on day 34 or 35 usually only number 1 or 2, and the babies are so big that it takes too long to deliver them and they seldom survive the birth process - though I have had a few exceptions, even to that.

Until you have a little history with a doe, there is no telling what she'll do. I had one doe that did nothing at all until mere minutes before her babies were there - but boy, when she got busy, the fur flew! At the other extreme was a Jersey Wooly (dwarf breed with angora wool) that started fur pulling at about day 21. The first time she did it, I thought she was ending a false pregnancy, but when she continued, I gave her a nest box "just in case." She continued to pull fur with great enthusiasm; by the time the litter arrived, she was almost completely bald. She had a 2 inch wide "Mohawk" of fur right along her spine, and fur on her head and legs, but everything else was bare skin. One person who saw her asked me if she'd had surgery! The cage was awash in wool; how she found enough room in the box to get in to birth the litter I'll never know . . . .

A lot of does will continue to pull fur for days after the litter is born, particularly if the weather is cold. Right now, I have a Holland Lop that should have given birth about 2 weeks ago, except that she didn't conceive on this breeding (another doe bred at the same time to the same buck has a nice litter, so I know it wasn't his fault!). This doe has been pulling fur for the last two weeks, for a litter that isn't there. Have I told you that I believe my rabbits put their heads together when I'm not out there and ask. "how can we drive her crazy today?!"
Blondie looks like a therapy pony - let's put a vest on her and sneak her in and Em out.
yesss.gif

Glad that you're back,
bun.gif
Believe it or not, I do know of a couple of minis that are certified therapy animals, and do hospital visits. Hmmmm.
hmm.png

Good to be back; nice to be missed.
hugs.gif

Bunny, is this a lot of fur pulling already?
0.jpg

We're on day 27 now. A couple days ago she started padding that burrow with straw, and today the fur pulling started. She has gotten really fat the past few days, so there might actually be a large litter in there. We did an ultrasound for fun, but Karin didn't want to shave her so she could only see three in the image at once. (What, don't you do ultrasounds on your bunnies?
tongue.png
) I think it's really cool that she's preparing an underground nest, but the downside is that we will have no idea how many she'll actually give birth to. I'm guessing we won't see the little ones for a couple of weeks, but even then we'll only see the ones that have made it that far. That tunnel goes in about 3 feet I think.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness Em..nooo. This is crazy stuff. I can't imagine having gone through this. I didn't sick much at all, just the norm. 3 month thing, and then from what I was hearing, I didn't have it bad.

While we are coming in to visit..is there anything we can bring to you?

Back
Top Bottom