Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Pics
I would say Macaroni is a Roo, the others look like pullets. You will probably know for sure in 4 more weeks. I just raised a flock of Barred Rocks this spring, and have one terrific Roo. I picked him out as a chick at the hatchery, because I wanted, and needed, a Rooster.

Here is a photo of "Mosey" the day I brought him home, at 6 day's old. He is the little one on the far right. Notice how much larger his white head spot is than his sisters' spots:
IMG_20210515_124251617.jpg

Here he is at 3 weeks old. You can see that he is already developing the white bars from his extra chromosome that males have. His development is ahead of his sister's, and he has a "Mohawk" haircut. And the chick waterer is his personal roost.
IMG_20210604_144338467.jpg

And at 5 weeks old. At this point, if your chick looks like this, then you know you have a little Roo.
IMG_20210613_122604299.jpg

Last edited:
I would say Macaroni is a Roo, the others look like pullets. You will probably know for sure in 4 more weeks. I just raised a flock of Barred Rocks this spring, and have one terrific Roo. I picked him out as a chick at the hatchery, because I wanted, and needed, a Rooster.

Here is a photo of "Mosey" the day I brought him home, at 6 day's old. He is the little one on the far right. Notice how much larger his white head spot is than his sisters' spots:
View attachment 2774183

Here he is at 3 weeks old. You can see that he is already developing the white bars from his extra chromosome that males have. His development is ahead of his sister's, and he has a "Mohawk" haircut. And the chick waterer is his personal roost.
View attachment 2774186

And at 5 weeks old. At this point, if your chick looks like this, then you know you have a little Roo.
View attachment 2774188
Thank you! I am watching for tail feathers on all my chicks now to see who has them at one week (to see if that’s accurate lol.) I’ll update the BR photos in here when they are 3 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom