Significant production drop

We have plain water in the coop, which they have access to all the time and the other water is outside in the run. I would like to get something small and put some ice chunks in it as I have seen your photos before and think it is a great idea. Sleds aren't available down here though lol... I will have to get an under the bed storage container. I freeze bottles of water to put in their water containers but I'm sure would work just fine in a "wading container".

Thanks for the suggestion of save a chick. I might still have some of that around here but if not, I will order some ASAP.
Get a plastic kiddie pool and trim it so it's only a few inches tall. Works beautifully
20200710_121126_HDR_(1).jpg

Get a plastic kiddie pool and trim it so it's only a few inches tall. Works beautifully

I ordered a hard plastic under bed wrapping paper container. It is a two pack. Long and narrow, which will fit our run much better than a kiddie pool. Our run is on the long and narrow side with a small shaded structure in it for the to have shade. There is a tire in it for dust bathing in there too. The slats have gaps so any breeze can still be appreciated by them.

You can see a portion of it in this image. There is a roof on it.

20200310-IMG_3091.jpg

ETA: correct typo

Glad you found something that works.....but I'm not seeing any of it, and would like to.

Oh, I was referring to a portion of what we call the "mini coop"... the small, roofed structure within the run that has open spaces for the breeze to get through. I won't get the order I placed until Wednesday.

I apologize for the confusion. I will get a better photo of our run once the container is here and set up in the run.

We keep them across the road and I have a hard time getting over there due to handicap. My hubby does most of the work and I head over only occasionally.

Glad you found something that works.....but I'm not seeing any of it, and would like to.

We got the bin yesterday and set it up today. My camera lens fogs up with the heat and humidity here so the photos aren't the greatest.

The red piece you see is one of those sink mats so your stainless steel sink doesn't get scratched. I thought it might help provide something to keep them from slipping around. Might eventually use a rubber spray but we will see how this goes first.

There are two ice blocks, still in the containers floating in it.

The coop is on the left and you can see a good portion of what we call the "mini coop", where their dust bath (tire) is and offers them some shade without loosing any breeze.

Also, these came as a two pack, so I have another one I can swap out when the first one needs a good cleaning.

20200716-IMG_4350.jpg
20200716-IMG_4354.jpg

No need to add water.....can you put it in the shade?

The only shade for most of the day is in the mini coop or between the mini coop and the fence. I could have my husband move it to between the mini coop and the fence.

There is a bit of water so they can wade in it.

I think we are going to have to put a tarp over the run between the coop and the mini coop.

It'll melt fast enough to wet their feet and for sipping.
Is the ice still in the containers you froze it in?
I pop the ice chunks out so the containers don't get poopy,
don't want chicken poop in my freezer :sick

Yes, the ice is still in the containers but they are disposable containers. (Flimsy) I have a ton of flimsy containers.

Once I have more room in the freezer, I will use some of my large Tupperware and pop the ice out.

Yeah, chicken poop in freezer is a gross thought.

These are pretty small containers so I didn't think it would be enough without water. Once I can use larger containers, I will just put the ice in it.

Back
Top Bottom