Signs of respiratory issues in two hens, multiple questions!

Acaskran

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
I am seeing mixed info online on how to handle respiratory issues with chickens.

I currently have two hens that have heavy, wet breathing and occasional sneezing. I have them isolated. I am seeing online to treat them with antibiotics but have also seen that these symptoms can be viral, making antibiotics the incorrect treatment. I would like to avoid going to the vet if possible, but I will if necessary since I know how contagious it can be. Right now, they are isolated with food and water. I'm putting VetRX on their beaks every so often. Their symptoms are much worse in the morning, but it's currently 9am and neither one of them is breathing weird right now, while they were rattling very badly earlier this morning. When I listen to their lungs, I don't hear anything internal.

My other issue is they continue to knock over their water. I just have them in a pack n play as it's the only thing I have big enough for them to keep them inside and isolated. If I have to put medication in their water, this will obviously be an issue, plus I'd like to give them some electrolytes and possibly some probiotics as well. Any hacks to keep two hens from constantly upending their water dish? I have nipple waterers but I'm unsure if there's a way to hang them over the pack n play safely while still being able to keep the top of it covered.

And last, they're in a flock of about 20 chickens as well as 6 new baby chicks (being raised by mama hens). Do I treat my whole flock? I can't do VetRx in their water because I have cats and I don't want to risk them getting into it, as it's toxic to them.

We are building a new coop to hopefully prevent this from recurring, our current one began leaking through one of the open sides so we had to board it up, eliminating a lot of their ventilation.

Respiratory diseases or symptoms can be from many things from disease, to an obstruction or something environmental. Can you record a video of their breathing? That would help a lot. Also most respiratory diseases are caused by bacteria. The more serious ones are viral.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom