Silk Goat? Can A Chicken Person Help?

JAHVREM

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
hi everyone, i have a sick goat, diarrhea for almost 3 weeks.

i need a non traditional solution.

she has been treated for cocci with tri meth, that fecal sample is clear. she did have worms, but we have hit her with 3 different wormers, originally ivermectin, then safeguard, then one the vet gave me that he did not think it would work. he has also given her the pink charcoal stuff twice a day to help filter whatever is going in.

he says there is not much else to do, wait it out, see if she will make it. she is losing weight.

she eats well, grain, hay, and grazes. she is drinking water.

she is anemic.

has anyone been successful in a non traditional manner?

i do not want to lose her. also, she was pregnant, but lost a set of twins a week into this cycle.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. jan

If you wormed her
3 times you probably need to give the bacteria in her gut time to build back up.the wormer kills good bacteria too.this will cause loose stools.

Have you tried giving a copper bolus? Sometimes a copper (or general mineral) deficiency can cause anemia in goats. We give ours the calf sized Copasure brand bolus twice a year as an extra source of copper. You can also put out a goat mineral free-choice.

Helpful resources:
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/copasure/camid/liv/cp/16535/
http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html
http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/copper.html

ETA: What is she eating? Can you describe her stool in more detail - is it very loose and runny or just a big clump? How does her skin and coat feel (rough, smooth)?

Last edited:
Quote:
The wormer doesn't kill bacteria. You are thinking about antibiotic. Antibiotics kill all of the stomach and intestional flora. Yogurt will most likely not do a goat very good, but I do know some folks use it with chickens.

If you are worried about it anyways, get a tube of Probios from TSC.

someone asked what my goat was eating?

she eats her regular sweet feed that i get at tractor supply, and she is eating hay and she grazes vigorously.

someone asked what my goat's stool looked like?

it is very watery, i have bathed her once, but i don't want to agitate her at all, she is really amess cuz of this loose stool, very watery.

thanks everyone, keep suggestions coming

The wormers in a drug that has been disigned to provide minimal harm to the beneficial bacteria. The worming drug is considered to be a neurotoxin and the only affects the nervous system of the worms. As bacteria don't have a nervous system they are not altered. So sorry to hear about your goat. I hope this is a virus in the intestinal tract and will run its course. I've seen similar cases at our clinic. Have they taken a intestinal sample (biopsy)? The fact your goat is still eating is great!
smile.png

Sweet feed has molasses in it, which is a natural enema. It could be causing the diarrhea. Switch her to a goat feed such as the one produced by Purina. It is a well-balanced feed that is specially formulated for goats. The sweet feed you have been feeding doesn't really have much nutritional value for a goat. Switch her feed and I'm betting the diarrhea will clear up.

Take her off pelleted feed entirely. Give her Kaopectate and milk of mag. Get concentrated B vitamins and give her injections, 3 cc at a time. Feed her all the leaves and greens she will eat. I have been keeping goats three years, this is what I do. She may also need baking soda to get her ph level where it needs to be. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom