Silkie/Barred Rock mix cross

sorenheart

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2022
I have a hen who was produced by my barred rock mix rooster (his dad was pure barred rock, but I don’t know what his mom was) mating with one of my (seemingly) black silkie hens. I’m curious to know what her offspring might look like if she’s currently being bred by my silkie rooster. I acquired him when he was four or five months old, so unfortunately I don’t know who his parents are or what his genetics are.
IMG_3395.jpeg
IMG_3185.jpeg

Last edited:
So she's barred rock/silky, breeding with a silky. That's probably going to bring out more of the silky traits again, as in black skin, 5 toes, fuzzy feathers, etc., and I'm guessing black will be the dominant color. I bet they would be pretty though!

Someone on here I'm sure has bred those so I hope they see your post and post some pictures of what they got.

So she's barred rock/silky, breeding with a silky. That's probably going to bring out more of the silky traits again, as in black skin, 5 toes, fuzzy feathers, etc., and I'm guessing black will be the dominant color. I bet they would be pretty though!

Someone on here I'm sure has bred those so I hope they see your post and post some pictures of what they got.
Thank you for your response! ☺️ So any babies would have more of a silkie feather-type and not smooth feathers??

So any babies would have more of a silkie feather-type and not smooth feathers??
Silkie being recessive, he is pure for the Silkie gene (if not pattern).

I can't remember the exact percentage.. but yes some will silkied and others will not. (according to your stated heritage)

Also.. the offspring WOULD be sex linked at hatch (since he is solid)! Males having white spot on head and females being solid.. growing into barred males and non barred females.

Silkie being recessive, he is pure for the Silkie gene (if not pattern).

I can't remember the exact percentage.. but yes some will silkied and others will not. (according to your stated heritage)

Also.. the offspring WOULD be sex linked at hatch (since he is solid)! Males having white spot on head and females being solid.. growing into barred males and non barred females.
Aha, here's your answer. I only know about sex-linking my silkies, but didn't know you could do it with mixed breeds.

Back
Top Bottom