Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

How'd your show go today? I took my white roo and a white pullet. She won RV, which completely surprised me. He placed 1st of only 2 older boys, so not much of a surprise there. LOL
Awesome, Janine!!
clap.gif

Quote: I've had judges tell me that a bird needs to be mature or they will not fare well, no matter how close to the standard they are; that they are simply not ready. Some birds mature more rapidly or slowly than others, and so one bird may be ready at 6 months while another is still unready at 10. In breeds that mature more quickly, a six month old pullet or cockerel might normally compete quite well. Mine still have baby voices at 6 months, and often still at 7. I have seen young silkies that sure looked considerably older to me than their stated ages.

Condition goes without saying. I have often thought that youth should have two categories that they are judged on separately. One for the standard and a separate one for condition. And I would like to see them earn larger prizes for condition than for meeting the standard. With a kid, the quality of the bird relative to the standard is more often related to the parent's interest or the size of their wallet. Condition, however is all on the kid.

I have often thought that youth should have two categories that they are judged on separately. One for the standard and a separate one for condition. And I would like to see them earn larger prizes for condition than for meeting the standard. With a kid, the quality of the bird relative to the standard is more often related to the parent's interest or the size of their wallet. Condition, however is all on the kid.
Oh, I completely agree. Showmanship is one good way for a Junior to show their knowledge and skill, but separate recognition of conditioning would really help to prove how hard a child has worked with their own birds.

No more sick chickens! So sry for your little babies hope they get better! :sick

Thanks everyone.

How'd your show go today? I took my white roo and a white pullet. She won RV, which completely surprised me. He placed 1st of only 2 older boys, so not much of a surprise there. LOL

Congrats! Can you possibly post pictures? It's really helpful for those of us new to showing, to see pics of winning birds. Gives us a visual of what to look for when selecting stock for breeding and showing.

I have no decent pictures of my girl...she always stands in strange poses. Here she is at the show, but I don't think you'll find it very helpful. Will post more pics of her if I can get something decent. LOL

Thought I'd post some pics I took today. First is my boy, he's a teddy bear. So sweet.
He's a bit ratty, especially his feet. I pulled quite a few broken feathers.

Next is Betty White playing in the leaves.

One of my four pullets on alert with the youngsters.

And the misfit pet splash, Idgie.

I just got a Silkie pullet (yesterday actually) and I want her to be a good show bird. For judging and showmanship. I was wondering what is a good way to get Angel (my Silkie) ready to show. How do I groom her for show? How to I 'condition' her for shows? What steps do I need to take before the show, and how long before, to get her looking her prettiest? Thank you for reading and I hope you can help me.

Back
Top Bottom