Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I just got a Silkie pullet (yesterday actually) and I want her to be a good show bird. For judging and showmanship. I was wondering what is a good way to get Angel (my Silkie) ready to show. How do I groom her for show? How to I 'condition' her for shows? What steps do I need to take before the show, and how long before, to get her looking her prettiest? Thank you for reading and I hope you can help me.

I suggest starting at the beginning of the thread and read, read, read. Those are quite a few questions and the answers are all within.
wink.png

And thanks Silkielover...that is my only splash. She's a dear pet but I have no plans on breeding splash.

Thought I'd post some pics I took today. First is my boy, he's a teddy bear. So sweet.
He's a bit ratty, especially his feet. I pulled quite a few broken feathers.

Next is Betty White playing in the leaves.

One of my four pullets on alert with the youngsters.

And the misfit pet splash, Idgie.
They are just lovely!!!
I suggest starting at the beginning of the thread and read, read, read. Those are quite a few questions and the answers are all within.
wink.png

And thanks Silkielover...that is my only splash. She's a dear pet but I have no plans on breeding splash.
Excellent advice! Hope you have great fun with your girl!

Well, I got my new birds from CJ's Silkies. They are STUNNING!!!! I lost one of the porcelains during shipping. Cj was kind enough to immediately reship TWO older porcelains! She knew how much we wanted the porcelains. I got them the following day. (so nice of her!) I just had to share because I am so happy with ALL of the birds. I will be going back for MORE....here are the birds I received from her. I just can't get over how beautiful they are!
love.gif

The chicks
The Black
The Blue

The porcelains

I just got a Silkie pullet (yesterday actually) and I want her to be a good show bird. For judging and showmanship. I was wondering what is a good way to get Angel (my Silkie) ready to show. How do I groom her for show? How to I 'condition' her for shows? What steps do I need to take before the show, and how long before, to get her looking her prettiest? Thank you for reading and I hope you can help me.

Congratulations on your first silkie! These are excellent questions and I'm sure folks here can help you. There is alot of good info buried in this thread and also on the other main Silkie thread. Unfortunately,the threads are now so long that it will take you days to read through all the posts. An excellent place for you to get a jump start is by visiting HatTrick silkies website. They have lots of good articles and videos. ---> http://www.hattricksilkies.net/articles.html Another good source for you to learn about silkies is by joining the American Silkie Bantam Club. They have some nice juniors on the ASBC website who are really helpful to other juniors. I will go through my notes this week and see if I can come up with more resources for you that will answer some of your questions. In the meantime, enjoy your new silkie!

I have no decent pictures of my girl...she always stands in strange poses. Here she is at the show, but I don't think you'll find it very helpful. Will post more pics of her if I can get something decent. LOL
Thank you! Love the fluff and those feet
love.gif
. I would love to see more of her
wink.png

Thought I'd post some pics I took today. First is my boy, he's a teddy bear. So sweet.
He's a bit ratty, especially his feet. I pulled quite a few broken feathers.

Next is Betty White playing in the leaves.

One of my four pullets on alert with the youngsters.

And the misfit pet splash, Idgie.
I love to see when they free range... they are adorable.
Congratulations on your first silkie! These are excellent questions and I'm sure folks here can help you. There is alot of good info buried in this thread and also on the other main Silkie thread. Unfortunately,the threads are now so long that it will take you days to read through all the posts. An excellent place for you to get a jump start is by visiting HatTrick silkies website. They have lots of good articles and videos. ---> http://www.hattricksilkies.net/articles.html Another good source for you to learn about silkies is by joining the American Silkie Bantam Club. They have some nice juniors on the ASBC website who are really helpful to other juniors. I will go through my notes this week and see if I can come up with more resources for you that will answer some of your questions. In the meantime, enjoy your new silkie!
goodpost.gif

So we are back from our show this weekend! We cooped in on Friday night and then the show was on Saturday. Had a great time, met up with some silkie people and other friends of mine that show Rosecombs.

My son won Reserve Grand Champion Featherleg with his Splash Pullet.

Congrats Hawkeye! I just recovered from a show too! My Jersey Giant Cockeral got reserved grand of the American Class.

Congrats Hawkeye! I just recovered from a show too! My Jersey Giant Cockeral got reserved grand of the American Class.
Well, good job and congrats! Those are BIG birds!! I see Parelli in your name... might you be a fan of Pat?? I took lessons straight from Pat years ago back before he became such a big international star. I break all of my own babies using Parelli and a combination of Lyons (because I looooove him too!) teachings. Of course, Pat has a pretty darned good system, so most of my ground work is his. It doesn't say where you live-- but are you in Colorado near him? And welcome to the thread! I didn't read back to catch up on the postings... I better check back.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom