Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Hi Silkie buffs! I was hoping someone could tell me about this V-shaped part of this Silkie's comb. It was difficult to get a really good pic but this was the best that I could get. I hope you can appreciate the area in question
1f601.png

Has anyone observed this in their Silkie's? Is it a normal variation? My birds are pets and I am not a breeder. This bird was incubated and hatched by me but I do not know much about the flock he came from. I only saw pictures, none of which were of detailed anatomy. I am just curious about this find. Thank you to anyone who contributes any info !

If you have hawk problems there is a simple solution. Get some 35lb monofilament line and blank cds. Suspend the monofilimant above the area your chick's are pastured and hang cds by the line from it so they spin in the breeze. Hawks do not like the irredescent bright light reflected. My silkies free range with the rest of the flock. We have many hawks and no problem so far. Also crows and hawks are territorial. We have skirmishes between them many times a year. We are on the edge of the crows territory. Hawks will come by and sit on fence posts and watch but always leave never entering the cd area.

Hi everyone. I have some partridge silkies ranging from 1 month to about 5 months old and I was wonder at what age would I be able to identify a slipped wing.

Can you please tell me if it could be a roo or a hen!!!! My other silkie has turned out to be a hen, however; i cannot tell with this one. Got them both from the same place at the same time!!!:)
Thank you sooooo much in advance

I do not have red stars or Araucanas but it is highly likely a full grown Silkie rooster will mate with them. Do you know how much a Silkie roo x production red hen would lay per annum?

Me, my cousins, and my sister are all going to be getting some silkies once we can get ahold of the person selling them. And we were wondering what your Roos and hens/pullets that were:
Buff
Splash
White
Partridge?
Black
Blue-
Looked like as chicks.
We are wondering this because we only want one rooster and certain colors so if anyone would like to post pics, that would be great
The one we are hopefully getting are about 1 1/2 - 2 months old
Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom