Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the noticeable differences between a splash and a blue silkie. I haven't been able to find many pictures of splash chicks to start with, for some reason. To me they both have that greyish smoky look. I can tell better when they are a couple weeks old of course but I want to be able to when they are just born. Thanks.

Here is a splash silkie!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the noticeable differences between a splash and a blue silkie. I haven't been able to find many pictures of splash chicks to start with, for some reason. To me they both have that greyish smoky look. I can tell better when they are a couple weeks old of course but I want to be able to when they are just born. Thanks.

Here is a splash silkie!

Here is a splash silkie!
That picture is hard to tell it is a splash. It looks more like my powder blue baby
hmm.png

Hello everyone...thought I would jump in here. I did not know there was another silkie thread on genetics..breeds...etc.
I have a roo that I have been trying to decide just what he may be. He is a handsome devil and I have a chick out of him just to see what traits he is going to pass one. So...here is Zepher..

Someone told me possibly I may have come up with a birchen. Wish I could figure out who he came out of. At the time I was just breeding my silkies to see what strong points I had in colors..and there came this one. It is still a bit hard to tell from the pics...in his wings they are almost marked like partridge but have a maroon and black colors. He is definately different and stands out in my little group.
lol.png
Also...I was told once that you can only get splash when 2 splash are bred....now am told that blue and splash will throw 50/50...can anyone settle this for me?? I lost my blue splash but have a couple chicks out of her...too young to tell but I don't want to get my hopes up of possibly having a splash chick if there is not chance. Thanks so much for your help...I will keep up with this thread..you seem to be my kinda people.
wink.png

Hello everyone...thought I would jump in here. I did not know there was another silkie thread on genetics..breeds...etc.
I have a roo that I have been trying to decide just what he may be. He is a handsome devil and I have a chick out of him just to see what traits he is going to pass one. So...here is Zepher..

Someone told me possibly I may have come up with a birchen. Wish I could figure out who he came out of. At the time I was just breeding my silkies to see what strong points I had in colors..and there came this one. It is still a bit hard to tell from the pics...in his wings they are almost marked like partridge but have a maroon and black colors. He is definately different and stands out in my little group.
lol.png
Also...I was told once that you can only get splash when 2 splash are bred....now am told that blue and splash will throw 50/50...can anyone settle this for me?? I lost my blue splash but have a couple chicks out of her...too young to tell but I don't want to get my hopes up of possibly having a splash chick if there is not chance. Thanks so much for your help...I will keep up with this thread..you seem to be my kinda people.
wink.png

There is no telling what traits he might pass on. He does not look full silkie, but rather a Millie Fleur/silkie mix? I do not believe you will get splash from mating him.

He came from 2 of my silkies who are full silkie. I really think the only thing I will get out of him will be partridge. You cannot tell from the pic but if you get down into his feathering you can see the partridge features though he is not the regular part. coloration. Sorry I must have been confusing in my post about the splash. I had been breeding my splash hen to a blue roo. I had posted on a thread about the possibilities of getting splash from those 2 and was told I couldn't. That the only way to get splash was from splash x splash. I wanted someone else's opinion on that because I have a few chicks from her. They are only a few weeks old and was not sure if I would be able to tell at this time. Chicks go thru so many changes as they mature.
Thanks so much for your response!!

He came from 2 of my silkies who are full silkie. I really think the only thing I will get out of him will be partridge. You cannot tell from the pic but if you get down into his feathering you can see the partridge features though he is not the regular part. coloration. Sorry I must have been confusing in my post about the splash. I had been breeding my splash hen to a blue roo. I had posted on a thread about the possibilities of getting splash from those 2 and was told I couldn't. That the only way to get splash was from splash x splash. I wanted someone else's opinion on that because I have a few chicks from her. They are only a few weeks old and was not sure if I would be able to tell at this time. Chicks go thru so many changes as they mature.
Thanks so much for your response!!
Splash X blue is indeed 50/50 splash and blue. Blue X blue will give 25% splash. The squares highlighted in blue show splash outcomes. Each square is 25%.

Back
Top Bottom