Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Quote:
I haven't had any aggression issues with my Silkies - yet - but with my large fowl - I carry them around. Bring them in the house. Make them watch TV with me. Usually humiliates them enough to buy me a week or so without flogging .... and gives me an opportunity to snuggle and fuss with them without feeling guilty
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I haven't had any aggression issues with my Silkies - yet - but with my large fowl - I carry them around. Bring them in the house. Make them watch TV with me. Usually humiliates them enough to buy me a week or so without flogging .... and gives me an opportunity to snuggle and fuss with them without feeling guilty
big_smile.png
A week or so without flogging ? You tolerate that ??? Use a hose on "Jet" if necessary. You're the mother, he's the chicken........

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but when breeding buff or partridge, do you need to have a same color breeding pen? I know you can do a blue, black, splash pen, but I wasn't sure about the others. I "accidentally" brought home a buff and a partridge girl the other day after falling in love with them (I only have blue/black currently), and I'm think about my plans in the far far future for breeding.

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but when breeding buff or partridge, do you need to have a same color breeding pen? I know you can do a blue, black, splash pen, but I wasn't sure about the others. I "accidentally" brought home a buff and a partridge girl the other day after falling in love with them (I only have blue/black currently), and I'm think about my plans in the far far future for breeding.
Yup. Unless you are trying to make designer colors.

Haha!! Accidentally, huh? :) You need to breed buff to buff and partridge to partridge to get standard show colors. That is unless you have some of those amazing roos like Dragon Lady had that carried every color! :D

Lol..yes. Totally did NOT intend to come home with more birds. My buff is very light, but I like it. I'm guessing she is carrying some sort of white gene.. These are my new girls:

EDIT: The light on the buff brings up another question...will I be able to show her as a buff? Or would she have to go in AOV?

Last edited:
Ok, any one have any idea how this little chick happened? I have a Cuckoo rooster in with B/B/S hens only. I am pretty sure the mom was my Blue frizzled silkie hen (but not 100% sure). This little chick hatched out last Thursday, and it is all white/cream looking, gray beak, and pink legs. Now that it is starting to feather in it doesn't look pure white, but a creamy color. I also know that my one blue frizzle hen hatched out looking partridge, but is now a nice rich blue. Not sure how that effects the genetic makeup. Still learning it all. Any help would be grateful!

Back
Top Bottom