Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Hatching - Carton or Not? Will experienced breeders please share their hatching method as far as using a carton or not. I currently do not. I use a auto turner for first 18 days and then put in hatcher (allowing them to lay naturally) for last 3 days. I see some are using a carton instead -one post claimed a 100% hatch.
ep.gif
celebrate.gif

I am certainly open to better hatching methods. I thought they needed to be able to turn in the egg for the zip?? - and would need to be on side.

If I wanted to try it can I use a plastic egg carton? I have some 6 pack plastic cartons and I would love to try both and see what hatches better for me. I just want to make sure I do it correctly with the carton.

Thank you in advance for sharing!
big_smile.png

Hatching - Carton or Not? Will experienced breeders please share their hatching method as far as using a carton or not. I currently do not. I use a auto turner for first 18 days and then put in hatcher (allowing them to lay naturally) for last 3 days. I see some are using a carton instead -one post claimed a 100% hatch.
ep.gif
celebrate.gif

I am certainly open to better hatching methods. I thought they needed to be able to turn in the egg for the zip?? - and would need to be on side.

If I wanted to try it can I use a plastic egg carton? I have some 6 pack plastic cartons and I would love to try both and see what hatches better for me. I just want to make sure I do it correctly with the carton.

big_smile.png
I've always hatched in cartons. I use the paper mache ones with the bottoms punched out. That allows air flow. Without cartons, the first hatched chicks roll the other eggs around just as the chicks in those eggs are trying to get air. Poor little things don't know which end is up then ! The later chicks zip much faster without being rolled by those early chicks.

Do not be tempted to re-use cartons for hatching !That can give you a bad bacteria build up in your hatcher.

I've always hatched in cartons. I use the paper mache ones with the bottoms punched out. That allows air flow. Without cartons, the first hatched chicks roll the other eggs around just as the chicks in those eggs are trying to get air. Poor little things don't know which end is up then ! The later chicks zip much faster without being rolled by those early chicks.

Do not be tempted to re-use cartons for hatching !That can give you a bad bacteria build up in your hatcher.

Thank you and that all makes very good sense. So zipping is not an issue then when standing up. I am so trying this tomorrow. Thank you again.

ep.gif
celebrate.gif

big_smile.png

I recently had a 100% hatch rate using a styrofoam egg carton during lockdown. I hatch 12 of 12 buttercups, which are the size of silkie eggs. Just remember to punch a hole the size of a pencil head at the bottom, to allow air flow.

ep.gif
celebrate.gif

big_smile.png

I use cartons and have had 100% hatches at least 3 times (my own eggs). I don't like the plastic as they don't absorb the liquids. I don't believe the cartons are what gives me high hatches though they may help. Accurate thermometers and good humidity range is what has increased my hatches the most.

I lost the last 2 chicks this past hatch because they were rolled around. Would anyone mind posting pics if the eggs in the cartons and the ideal size of the ventilation hole? It would be much appreciated.

ep.gif
celebrate.gif

big_smile.png
I use egg cartons. I used to cut holes in the bottom, but actually the egg blocks the hole so there is no point really. Every once in a while I try to hatch without putting them in the cartons, and usually have a bad hatch. When you think about it, a nest of eggs under a hen, doesn't allow them to move around. The eggs are all jammed in together. They don't roll the last 3 days. I think that having the egg shell stationary, actually lets the chicks move around inside the shell better, than if it was rolling around. JMHO

Research suggests that eggs hatch much better if allowed the freedom to move around as they would hatching under broodies. I started out hatching in cartons. I will NEVER do it again. I've had MUCH better success with Silkies and Marans leaving the eggs with freedom to roll around even if it is hard to watch and messier.

Back
Top Bottom