Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

whew that makes me feel better! She is also on antibiotics for 7 days in case of any infection. I was glad he didn't charge me an arm and a leg for the whole procedure! It only came to $125 for the exam, the last minute surgery, and the meds. I read your notes, thank you! One more question, besides electrolytes, what can I give her to make sure she stays well hydrated to keep her innards moist so this doesn't happen again?

I would try just electrolytes for now. See how that goes. That is awesome that it wasn't too expensive!!!!! I need to go to that vet!

Okay we're back from the vet, he actually was able to remove the egg whole, but he gave her a sort of external c-section. He had to slowly pull out her ovaduct, kind of turn it inside out, but when he got to the egg it was actually sort of twisted in the membrane of the ovaduct so he had to make an incision to remove it then stitched her back up. Now to keep her from laying anymore I'm trying to make her go broody so she will stop. Any suggestions? I got some of the plastic easter eggs and filled them with sand and gave them to her in a covered kennel.
Buy 3 tubes of Preparation H. Trust me, I got an imported Orp through a prolapse with this stuff.

Buy 3 tubes of Preparation H. Trust me, I got an imported Orp through a prolapse with this stuff.
I have some
big_smile.png
That's good to know! She does have sutures in her vent I believe that he used to keep the prolapse in but I will put some on in the morning. she needs to take a break right now, poor girl's been through enough. Keeping my fingers crossed she's still with us in the AM
fl.gif
She's a fighter for sure, always been the runt and almost lost her last summer from dehydration then an impacted crop from being dehydrated! Then she got sick with a bad cough and couldn't figure out what it was for 2 months(ended up clearing up with oxine and tylan used together)! I think i'll put a misting system in my new coop run once we move. My chickens dropped like flies last summer
sad.png
between the heat, daily change of weather, and the bad mosquito population!

oh, how much should I put on?

Last edited:
I have some
big_smile.png
That's good to know! She does have sutures in her vent I believe that he used to keep the prolapse in but I will put some on in the morning. she needs to take a break right now, poor girl's been through enough. Keeping my fingers crossed she's still with us in the AM
fl.gif
She's a fighter for sure, always been the runt and almost lost her last summer from dehydration then an impacted crop from being dehydrated! Then she got sick with a bad cough and couldn't figure out what it was for 2 months(ended up clearing up with oxine and tylan used together)! I think i'll put a misting system in my new coop run once we move. My chickens dropped like flies last summer
sad.png
between the heat, daily change of weather, and the bad mosquito population!

oh, how much should I put on?
Put fans on your birds 24/7 in the late summer to keep the mosquitos off. Everyone around me was loosing birds to pox late last summer. None here, thanks to the fans, AND my resident wrens !

Inject about 1/2" of Prep H into her cloaca.

Last edited:
Put fans on your birds 24/7 in the late summer to keep the mosquitos off. Everyone around me was loosing birds to pox late last summer. None here, thanks to the fans, AND my resident wrens !

I will, but unfortunately where I am right now I wasn't able to, no electricity outside and I can't run extension cords, i'm on the second floor and I would need at least 5 to reach the coop. My next house will be chicken heaven
big_smile.png
I think Evelyn died of west nile, there was an outbreak of it here and the symptoms matched.

Last edited:
Sorry
1f6bd.png

I did not post it 2 time because I had pushed the reply thing do I had to try to finish what I was saying

And I can write help 2x if I want

1f339.png

Great idea with the fans!!! Though I still think with the amount of Mosquitos around my house (super slow running creek behind us = breeding ground for em) my 3 will spend a lot I their outdoor time on our screened in porch.

i dont have any coops. i keep all of my chickenson dirt and in dog kennels with upside down dog houses for shelter i find it keeps them healthier and the area more sanitary and easier to clean

Back
Top Bottom