Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Just picked these sweeties up for my friend
love.gif
They are a bit rough looking from breeding and mites but I think they will be gorgeous once they are re-conditioned! Any opinions on any of them I can forward to her once I bring them?

PS: The first white hen is the worst, she had the worst case of mites and was missing feathers on her neck and half her crest. So she's having a bad hair day
lol.png
She also just molted so is pretty rough looking.

love.gif
They are a bit rough looking from breeding and mites but I think they will be gorgeous once they are re-conditioned! Any opinions on any of them I can forward to her once I bring them?

PS: The first white hen is the worst, she had the worst case of mites and was missing feathers on her neck and half her crest. So she's having a bad hair day
lol.png

That buff will be a cutie !

OK. That's good to know. I'd seen a piece in a local news paper 2 yrs ago of a youngster who'd shown a Silky & decided to breed. He was planning on selling his eggs at $1 each.

love.gif

lol.png

I love the buff girl. Looks like she has really nice even color and great tail. Nice crest and beard. I'm not sure about her wings but you know how to check them. :D The white is too hard to evaluate in her present condition. Hope she rebounds! Cute chick.

I love the buff girl. Looks like she has really nice even color and great tail. Nice crest and beard. I'm not sure about her wings but you know how to check them. :D The white is too hard to evaluate in her present condition. Hope she rebounds! Cute chick.
There are two whites =) One in better condition than the other. The first one, the ragged one, was not happy with me or this heat LOL Can you tell? I like the looks of her crest though from what I can see, she looks like she will have a nice bonnet. All of them have naked butts too from mites LOL I had to pluck quite a few feathers that had eggs glued on.

Quote:
You did a great save, poor girls. I bet they are glad to be with you!
thumbsup.gif

You could call the first girl "Ann"
lau.gif
Then when she is beautiful again you don't have to tell anybody how she got that name.
wink.png

Icky glued on egg mites.. that is really nasty. I got a Andalusian rooster from my mother's rooster pen that was so bad he almost died. He had those icky eggy feathers too, first time I have ever seen them and it was really gross He had those red mites crawling around.. just EWWWWW! She was gone for the month so I was just going over and feeding and checking on them, I didn't catch any and look closely until I took that one home. I used Ivermectin and it worked on him and I didn't have to pluck any feathers. Anything that hatched and bit - died..
somad.gif
Everybody else here got the treatment too at that time although I didn't see any on them and I still haven't seen any more. They better stay away too!

Of course we will expect updated pictures when they are all pretty again.. looks like they are going to be some nice birds!

You did a great save, poor girls. I bet they are glad to be with you!
thumbsup.gif

You could call the first girl "Ann"
lau.gif
Then when she is beautiful again you don't have to tell anybody how she got that name.
wink.png

Icky glued on egg mites.. that is really nasty. I got a Andalusian rooster from my mother's rooster pen that was so bad he almost died. He had those icky eggy feathers too, first time I have ever seen them and it was really gross He had those red mites crawling around.. just EWWWWW! She was gone for the month so I was just going over and feeding and checking on them, I didn't catch any and look closely until I took that one home. I used Ivermectin and it worked on him and I didn't have to pluck any feathers. Anything that hatched and bit - died..
somad.gif
Everybody else here got the treatment too at that time although I didn't see any on them and I still haven't seen any more. They better stay away too!

Of course we will expect updated pictures when they are all pretty again.. looks like they are going to be some nice birds!
You'll have to bug Angelobutter for updated pics haha They are her birds. I am going to collect the eggs I get though and see if they hatch. I am also going to try breeding Snow to them. So far he isn't interested in breeding but is showing off. I might try AI. He may still be too young, but he is looking quite macho and crowing a lot so maybe he is fertile.

Snowmiser is looking dashing
love.gif
His male hormones are really kicking in! What a difference from when I got him from my friend! He actually looks like a man now lol!

and Icelynn says "Kiss my butt!"
lau.gif
(anyone else think it looks like she's slapping her butt?)

Snowmiser is looking dashing
love.gif
His male hormones are really kicking in! What a difference from when I got him from my friend! He actually looks like a man now lol!

and Icelynn says "Kiss my butt!"
lau.gif
(anyone else think it looks like she's slapping her butt?)
Snowmiser looks great! And yes, Ice kinda looks like she's slapping her butt.
lau.gif

Ok, so I hatched a few blue silkies that have a lot of pink in their feet. Will they darken over time or should I go ahead and sell them as pets?

Back
Top Bottom