Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I'd love to know how that goes even though I can't really help answer your questions. I do know in some MF Cochins they will use Partridge and Mottleds. Let me know and best of luck with it!

Thanks so much. I'll update when Ive got more to show. On the color genetics thread it was said if I outcross I might have better luck so thinking I will try a mille de fleur cochin silkie cross to work on color then hopefully bring the feathering back later. I'm really excited about this project. :)

Thanks so much. I'll update when Ive got more to show. On the color genetics thread it was said if I outcross I might have better luck so thinking I will try a mille de fleur cochin silkie cross to work on color then hopefully bring the feathering back later. I'm really excited about this project.
smile.png

I imagine that will work since I know to get sizzles they usually go to frizzle cochins then back to silkies. Mottling is recessive so you may need to breed sibling to sibling instead of back to silkie at first.

Out of the following colors can someone please tell me what color babies I can get please?

Roos I have a mature Partridge, coming into maturity are 1-2 Whites and 1-2 Grey(btw how would I use the kippenjungle calcultor for this color?)

Hens are several White and 1-2 Grey. Lady I got them from said some of the Grey hatched from White hens so I'm guessing it is recessive White and Grey is more a wild type coloring? Still doing some genetics research but help would be appreciated. =)
white silkies are usually recessive white. Grey is silver partridge, although it can be made on the birchen allele also. It should not be penciled, however.

white silkies are usually recessive white. Grey is silver partridge, although it can be made on the birchen allele also. It should not be penciled, however.

Thank you, I'm hatching white and partridge babies from them so far. Haven't gotten any grey looking babies but they are all less than a week old. There is a darker partridge looking baby.

---Just googled silver partridge, definitely haven't gotten any silver striped chicks so I guess they are all just partridge and white.

Last edited:
Hi! I am having trouble deciding which silkie rooster to breed from. One has the best fluff but greenish feet, the other best shape and fluff has a bit of red in his crest. Another with good foot and comb colour but not much head fluff. This one pictured has bits of red in his comb. What would you do?

Last edited:
I have a cute little silkie chick that is currently five days old. I want to start showing her in about a few months. The sad thing is she has some nerve damage on her right foot. What would you recommend to do with her? She is a very sweet, docile bird and very photogenic.

Well, I made the decision to steal my broody's two babies. They both look like pure, blue silkies to me and I need more blues so I'm raising these ones inside just to make sure nothing happens to them. She still has two eggs yet to hatch and I gave her one that I had in here on lockdown. What do you guys think? Do they look like pure silkie babies to you? Both have 5 toes, dark and feathered feet/legs, black beaks. Mama is a splash silkie. Possible daddys are Blue silkie, CCL, BCM, lavender ameraucana, and RIR. Less possible daddys (younger boys) silver welbar, rir x CCL.

Back
Top Bottom