Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

6 weeks is too young to show, in my opinion. But she *might* do okay in the pullet class, depending on how much more mature the other pullets are. She's lovely, and I bet she'll be amazing once she fills out. Right now her back looks long and her cushion is seriously lacking, but that's just part of the gangly teenager phase.

The show is more than 3 months away, so hopefully she'll fill out better by then. Thank you for the critique! Her crest is getting bigger and bigger everyday and I think once she fills out more her back will look shorter. I have another pullet filling out a bit nicer. She's a lot more typey and her crest is round and full.

Critiques? This is Morrocco, a 6 week old white Silkie. I'm taking her to the Ohio National and she will be up against some of the best silkies in the US, so no need to sugarcoat any opinions.

*please note she is not completely conditioned or bathed and groomed

Hi there
6 weeks is much to young to show.
She will be up against fully grown birds which May have a slightly better chance
As they are fully matured.
And you silkie will not be.
She still needs to fill out abit more and get a poofy tail
Like one of my show silkies

She is a lovely silkie and looks like she will turn into a good show bird
But I think she is too young at the moment
But as i say "if your not in you can't win!"

I don't mean to hurt your feelings if I did
But I'm only trying to give you some info.

Goodluck
Fionn.

Last edited:
Hi there
6 weeks is much to young to show.
She will be up against fully grown birds which May have a slightly better chance
As they are fully matured.
And you silkie will not be.
She still needs to fill out abit more and get a poofy tail
Like one of my show silkies

She is a lovely silkie and looks like she will turn into a good show bird
But I think she is too young at the moment
But as i say "if your not in you can't win!"

I don't mean to hurt your feelings if I did
But I'm only trying to give you some info.

Goodluck
Fionn.

Thank you I appreciate the critique and yes I know she's a bit too young to show right now. The show isn't for a few months. She will be over five months when I do show her.

Out of the following colors can someone please tell me what color babies I can get please?

Roos I have a mature Partridge, coming into maturity are 1-2 Whites and 1-2 Grey(btw how would I use the kippenjungle calcultor for this color?)

Hens are several White and 1-2 Grey. Lady I got them from said some of the Grey hatched from White hens so I'm guessing it is recessive White and Grey is more a wild type coloring? Still doing some genetics research but help would be appreciated. =)

Hey guys I'm really wanting to start a breeding project with my silkies but have no clue where to start. I want to work on breeding a better calico that resembles the mille de fleur. I've been thinking about using the paint silkie but trying to figure out what I would need to het the orange and red to show through. I'm still learning about the genetics so have a long ways to go. Hoping someone here can give me a few pointers in the right direction. Thanks. :)

Hey guys I'm really wanting to start a breeding project with my silkies but have no clue where to start. I want to work on breeding a better calico that resembles the mille de fleur. I've been thinking about using the paint silkie but trying to figure out what I would need to het the orange and red to show through. I'm still learning about the genetics so have a long ways to go. Hoping someone here can give me a few pointers in the right direction. Thanks.
smile.png

I'd love to know how that goes even though I can't really help answer your questions. I do know in some MF Cochins they will use Partridge and Mottleds. Let me know and best of luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom