Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

To me it just looks like their feathers are in poor condition, most likely from breeding and normal scratching and milling around. When they molt, they'll grow back in nice and pretty again :)

hi all! I wanted to post some pictures of some of my silkies. If anyone has any guesses on their sex, please tell me lol. I'm trying to figure them out on my own but silkies are so tough!

these two are Blue and Jewel. We just picked them up at the swap about 2 weeks ago. I was told that they were around 10 weeks old but I'm pretty sure that was a rough guess.

Jewel

Blue

Jewel again (pictures didn't load in order)

This one here is Angel

Still Angel. Kids wanted to have a "silkie spa" lol

Peanut

Angel and Peanut. I believe that they're about 16 weeks? Maybe?

Thanks for looking and any guesses on sex lol. I'm really hoping that Blue is a boy and the rest are girls. Can you cross a blue silkie to a buff?

Last edited:

How cute is this?
love.gif

These 2 are this years Easter chicks. I thought they where pullets but im thinking they are cockereals. What do yall think?

They needs baths but other than that boys or girls?

hi all! I wanted to post some pictures of some of my silkies. If anyone has any guesses on their sex, please tell me lol. I'm trying to figure them out on my own but silkies are so tough! these two are Blue and Jewel. We just picked them up at the swap about 2 weeks ago. I was told that they were around 10 weeks old but I'm pretty sure that was a rough guess. Jewel Blue Jewel again (pictures didn't load in order) This one here is Angel Still Angel. Kids wanted to have a "silkie spa" lol Peanut Angel and Peanut. I believe that they're about 16 weeks? Maybe? Thanks for looking and any guesses on sex lol. I'm really hoping that Blue is a boy and the rest are girls. Can you cross a blue silkie to a buff?
Yes, I crossed a blue with a buff once. I got one pure blue rooster and one that was blue with gold leakage. Both of them weren't ideal for showing but they were very pretty.

Can someone refer me to a source for silkie trait heritability ? Head feathers, 5 toes, black skin, etc. I understand that Silkied feathering is recessive but they have so many other unique characteristics!

Back
Top Bottom