Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Yes, you'd want your rooster to be split. I believe you'd produce less blacks that way. Fancychooklady posted the breeding chart on the Silkie thread
smile.png
Thank you!

Quick question. Curled toes...is that hereditary? If so, ressesive or dominate? I only have a small selection of silkies I would like to breed, and one cute little one has curled toes. I know I can't show her, but could I breed her or will that just pass on the problem?

Quick question. Curled toes...is that hereditary? If so, ressesive or dominate? I only have a small selection of silkies I would like to breed, and one cute little one has curled toes. I know I can't show her, but could I breed her or will that just pass on the problem?

I personally wouldn't breed from her. All I know is that I had a Sussex hen with toes like that so I did a test breeding her with a Sussex cock, and all the babies had crooked toes
sad.png

I wouldn't breed her either, but the curled toes could be a side effect of some issue during incubation. The only way to find out if she'd throw chicks with defects is to do a test breeding.

I wouldn't breed her either, but the curled toes could be a side effect of some issue during incubation. The only way to find out if she'd throw chicks with defects is to do a test breeding.

I may try or have our friend try. Worst case we have a batch with curled toes and know not to do that again.. I tried at birth to fix them, but to be honest it must have gone back to curled after I removed the shoes...I wish I would have been more diligent, but this spring was crazy here. I had chicks out the ears and building a coop and barn...ugh.

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as Silkie breeding. Somehow I have managed to get a few pet quality birds and trying to improve them in light of all the info available on this forum. I have many questions to ask but for now I want to ask about the issue with the wing feathers of my birds; both primaries & secondaries.

So as you can see in the photo below the tip of the wing feathers of all my birds are torn off. the same. This issue is with all of my silkies, males and females. Anyone can explain the reason or how to avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom