Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Thanks Suze..all of my lavs are unrelated as i have collected them over the past 2 years...hoping my old boy can still breed...lol...will see what we get ...after seeing Brens beauties at the Nationals we have a long ways to go!

I too have a lav project in the works. Can't wait til my lav pullet and black pullet start laying!! They are 5 1/2 months....

light went out in my brooder last night lost all my less then month old chicks, its so sad work so hard and loose so much
I have 2 lights in each brooder. I learned my lesson early on since I brood out in a barn all winter long. It doesn't take much before they get cold & die.
If you can put a regular light bulb with those silver like shades in there so they can get under some heat it will at least give you peace of mind.

my year old hen just got it all of a sudden so its not like i have a bunch of em from the same line
Last year at about 3 weeks of age, 2 of my silkies came down with appeared to be Wry neck, and one was also walking backwards. I found out it was probably an injury so I started to massage their necks at least once a day, gently bending the heads around to the correct position, and made sure they could still eat & drink. The one with just the wry neck recovered fast. The backwards walking one took more time, but she eventually came out of it. And now is perfectly fine.

First question I ever get asked about ANY of my birds - where/who are they from. Good or bad, folks do want to know the history of a bird. For me, I am keen to give credit when the bird is worthy but not quick to blame if the bird is less than perfect. Because "stuff" happens.

I would LOVE to see some pictures of your chocolates, Sonoran. That is a colour I would love to work with down the road. (WAY down the road.
tongue.png
) Have another friend working on chocolate Ameraucanas. I really do like the colour. (I'm checking out the club web site....)
As a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte breeder for 7 years, I still get asked, what lines are they? Honestly, Now they are MY line! I usually say I started out with 3 different lines, and have merged them for 7 years with a closed flock, so they are definetly mine....

Who all will be at the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show this Saturday? Anyone bringing anything interesting to sell? Anyone need anything? LOL

Last year at about 3 weeks of age, 2 of my silkies came down with appeared to be Wry neck, and one was also walking backwards. I found out it was probably an injury so I started to massage their necks at least once a day, gently bending the heads around to the correct position, and made sure they could still eat & drink. The one with just the wry neck recovered fast. The backwards walking one took more time, but she eventually came out of it. And now is perfectly fine.

awesome wow thanks

Back
Top Bottom