Silkie chick ate molded chick treat

You might want to continue the charcoal for another day or two until you're sure all of the poison has been neutralized. I had some young chicks peck at a poisonous caterpillar and I didn't know to continue the charcoal beyond the first dose, and I may have seen a better outcome if I had.

You might want to continue the charcoal for another day or two until you're sure all of the poison has been neutralized. I had some young chicks peck at a poisonous caterpillar and I didn't know to continue the charcoal beyond the first dose, and I may have seen a better outcome if I had.
Thank you! She just had her first dose about 5:30pm this afternoon. From the site I referenced above, it suggests only two doses per day for the first 24-48 hours and to space other therapeutics 3 hours away from the charcoal doses.

It's really sad to see her so out of sorts. She talks, chirps, does that rolling "chirr" sound every time we approach her and put our hands on her. She's such a sweet little girl that this just breaks my heart.............. :-(

Update 7:00am today:
This little 10 week old Silkie is standing on her own, but still not able to raise her head past halfway up. So, she mostly lets it hang and stays stationary.
10:00pm last night: We fed her about a golf-ball sized mix of her Starter Feed and Yogurt followed by three to four 1" live Mealworms with Vitamin E on them, then about 10cc of Probiotic and Electrolyte water.
She slept peacefully for the next few hours until we went to bed and didn't see that she'd moved much when I got up a couple times during the night.
Today, she'll get her next dose of Activated Charcoal at about 9:00am, then a dose of Starter Mash and Yogurt followed by Probiotic and Electrolyte water.
Fingers crossed! :-\

Update 6:00PM:
At about 9am this morning she got her second Activated Charcoal dose, but still about half what is suggested - just seems like SO much for this little girl! After, she got a little Probiotic and Electrolyte water, I went to get some Rooster Booster (crumbles and liquid). She's responded better than we expected and nearly as much as we had hoped for!

So, we reunited her with her half-sister in the back yard (they were hatch-mates and hatched the same day in April). Though her head is still very much cocked to the right and down, she was able to forage a bit, pick some grass, and eat some live mealworms out of a can.

Treatment regimen started out as an approach to a mold poisoning, but we rotated toward a vitamin deficiency mostly today. We'll give her another Activated Charcoal treatment tonight, but it seems as if the heavy vitamin content of Rooster Booster is getting results.

See photos of her progression from Monday night eating worms with her sister given by their "daddy" (she has the more caramel colors in her), to yesterday (Tuesday) morning looking pitiful, to this afternoon where she's preening in her temporary bed, to this evening (Wednesday) where she's back in the yard with her sister for a bit.

She's back in her indoor bed resting at this time (with her sister joining her for moral support), and we'll continue the vitamin treatment for the next several days and hope for steady improvement. We still believe this started with the mold on the treat, but there is some doubt in the mix now. I'll post more updates in the coming days.

Thank you to everyone for offering your well-wishes, advice, and suggestions for this sweet little girl! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Monday evening - everything was completely normal
IMG_3186.JPG

Tuesday mid-day - not doing well at all!
IMG_3201.JPG

Wednesday afternoon - preening in her temporary bed
IMG_3213.JPG

Wednesday early evening - not 100% but 100% better and eating worms with her sister
IMG_3219.JPG

She can seem to get the worms just fine even with her head cocked to the side
IMG_3221.JPG

Comfort of family is the best! - with her half-sister and hatch-mate...
IMG_3224.JPG

Looking at us taking photos; I think she knows who really takes care of her :)
IMG_3228.JPG

Last edited:
Activated charcoal, molasses flush, Epsom salt flush. Any of these will work.
Personally I would feed her some activated charcoal.
I wish I knew about this when two of my meat bird cockerels ate spoiled feed from the feeder, & became sick with Mycotoxicosis.

I wish I knew about this when two of my meat bird cockerels ate spoiled feed from the feeder, & became sick with Mycotoxicosis.
Indeed! It was a first poison/toxicity scare for us, but like we say ALL the time, "we learn something new each day sharing our lives with these winged friends of ours".......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom