Silkie Chick Combs @ 4 Weeks

RaintoRoots

Chirping
Mar 7, 2019
Encinitas, California
Hey there! I'm raising silkie chicks for the first time and purchased 7 silkie (mix?) chicks from a local feed store. I'm guessing they're around 4 weeks old now. I took some photos of their different looking combs because I'm curious if what I'm noticing is normal development of males vs females or if they possibly came from different parents. 3 are large and fluffy all with flat combs. The rest are much smaller and less fluffy. Some of the smaller ones are developing noticeable ridges on their combs, while others have flat looking combs. I know its likely too soon to tell the hens from the roos, but I took some photos of their combs for reference. Do you guys think these chicks are from the same clutch?

Last edited:
The last picture is definitely not a silkie. Maybe a cochin? I got my silkies from a breeder but they were much fluffier at this stage with big topknots.

The tan colored one on that bottom photo is the same chick in the top right in first photo. It looks a little funny with the red light, so heres another of the same two birds, they're in the background and one of the more fluffier chicks in the front. This photo was taken at 3 weeks, they are developing longer feathers this week. I'll try to get a better photo.

When I went back to the feed store 2 weeks after I purchased them the few remaining "silkies" left for sale had all of their feathers pulled out by the standard sized chicks. All chicks were hatched on the same day and kept in the same container, but since the other breeds were way bigger than these guys its makes me think they are a type of bantam breed.

Silk.JPG

The last picture is definitely not a silkie. Maybe a cochin? I got my silkies from a breeder but they were much fluffier at this stage with big topknots.
They said that they got them from a feed store and most feed store silkies aren't show quality just pet quality, but they are still silkies.
Some of them look frizzled, so they would be called sizzles.

Back
Top Bottom