1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie chick dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarolB865, Dec 1, 2016.

1. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    I just had a silkie chick who as about 9 weeks old die. It was fine an hour ago out with it's flock buddies, eating, etc. All of a sudden it was flopping around in circles, beating it's wings like it was trying to get upright and then died.

Help? I have no idea what is going on. No signs of a cold, crop felt fine, eyes clear. I'm concerned for the rest of my flock and the other silkies I have.

2. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Good morning

Im so sorry for your loss, It does sound like your chicken was attacked by something. Did you see the whole situation? And did you inspect your chicken after its death; such as inspeting its body for any visible signs of markings,bruises or even feather loss. the reason im jumping to the conclusion something attacked it is because you said it was fine a little while ago, and it suddenly started freaking out. I would reccomend you inspect your coop and all of your chickens, lastly make sure your coop is safe from predators.

Hoped this help
    Sunshine Ducky

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh yes, totally checked for any kind of marks, etc. But no sign. This was also the chick that has never gotten over pasty butt. I was told that she probably had issues inside her as well. I'm thinking that after all my work and treating of her it finally just wasn't enough. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by