Silkie Chick Eye Infection?

ceedi79

Chirping
Apr 26, 2021
Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me. I've searched the forums and am still not sure what is going on with one of my 3 week old silkies. The chick is out in the coop with mama and siblings. I noticed yesterday that the chick was just standing there and not running around like the other 2. Today upon closer inspection, I saw that the chick had what looks like crusty, watery eyes (both eyes). The chick is still eating and drinking, however just not as active as the other 2 siblings. Not sure if it is just an eye infection or could it be something worse. I've heard some small sneezes, but no labored or strange breathing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9371.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9374.jpg
    IMG_9374.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 3
Are you sure the crustiness is coming from the eye? It sort of looks like it's on the skin above and behind her eye... I'd use a warm damp towel and see if you can loosen and wipe off the crust. You can rinse the eyes with saline solution or an eye wash.

Where are you located and what's the weather like? Any mite issues?

Are you sure the crustiness is coming from the eye? It sort of looks like it's on the skin above and behind her eye... I'd use a warm damp towel and see if you can loosen and wipe off the crust. You can rinse the eyes with saline solution or an eye wash.

Where are you located and what's the weather like? Any mite issues?
I am on the east coast and weather is all over the place. We had extremely cold weather, then had a few warm days, but it’s getting cold again. No mite issues. I’ll try the warm compressor an eye wash to try to see if I see anything above the eyes.

Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me. I've searched the forums and am still not sure what is going on with one of my 3 week old silkies. The chick is out in the coop with mama and siblings. I noticed yesterday that the chick was just standing there and not running around like the other 2. Today upon closer inspection, I saw that the chick had what looks like crusty, watery eyes (both eyes). The chick is still eating and drinking, however just not as active as the other 2 siblings. Not sure if it is just an eye infection or could it be something worse. I've heard some small sneezes, but no labored or strange breathing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I'd check Mama and chicks for mites.

Clean the eyes and face with saline. If she's got bubbles in the eye, you can put a dot of Terramycin eye ointment in her eye twice a day (after cleaning the eye).

Back
Top Bottom