silkie chick HELP PLEASE

jnewsom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
I've had my silkie chick for about a week. I woke up this morning to her yelling.the other chicks are as happy as could be! But Fifi won't really let up on her chirping. Shes mainly in the warmest part of the broader but worries me is that I haven't seen her eat or drink today and she had her eyes closed for the most part. It'll be quite for an hour or so bit then she always starts up again! Should I be worried? What can I do?

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your chick. Usually when they make a big fuss, something is wrong, but not always. What temp is your brooder at? She could be cold even though the others are not. Have you seen the color or consistency of her poop? What are the other conditions in your brooder...bedding type, how many babies in what size of brooder, covered or uncovered brooder, where is the feed and water, etc...

Answers to these will help to figure out what might be going on.

Keep us posted!

There are four other chicks (an easter egger two Plymouth rocks and a red sexlink) the brooder has been at 85 for two days now with pine shavings and is uncovered. I change the water regularly and they've been eating non medicated crumbles I haven't noticed a change in her poop

How old are they? 85 is too cold for one week olds. They should have been started at 95, lowering the heat by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks.

Honestly I'm not sure how old. I got them from a local hatchery. Some are starting to get their wings others not yet and one has her wings. Is the temp the only thing I have to worry about?

Wow not in perfect condition but dip her beak in the water every hour
to try to rehydrate her and a trick I learned from my grandpa a hard
boiled egg shell removed and egg mashed up real good then served
but first try her separate then give the rest to the others .....

hit me back if you have more questions
frow.gif

I wanna thank you guys fer takin time to help me out real fast! I've always wanted chickens and this year we decided to try it.

But I've slowly warmed up the brooder box and seems to have settled a little but is still chirping just not as loud. I have dipped her beak a few times just because I haven't seen her drink. If the heat doesn't help what else should I be looking for? Also what is your guy's option on medicated feed? I've heard after 8 weeks to switch then 16 weeks to switch to layer food. Is that correct? And at 16 weeks is that when they can be moved to the coop?

Again thank you guys for takin some time out to help me! I really wanna do this right and have the happiest healthiest most spoiled chickens out there!!
2665.png
2665.png

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your chick, hope she is OK. You've gotten some good advice above. If she was cold it may take her a little while to calm down. Do be sure there are cool spots in the brooder (they need a place that is 95*, but the whole brooder should not). Watch her to see if she is more willing to eat and drink, and see what she does, is she moving around now or just standing etc. Have you seen her poop?
Medicated food is to help develop immunity to Coccidia, some people never use it, here is a nice member page on Coccidia. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-and-medicated-feed
With Layer food, most of the commercial brands say to switch at 18 weeks or when you see your first egg. The main difference in the different feeds is the high Calcium in Layer you don't want chicks to have, but that the hens need to make egg shells.
Most people move the chicks to the coop around 6 weeks (depending on the weather and your set up) when they are fully feathered and don't need supplemental heat anymore.

Shes not yelling anymore and I have brought up the temp she has drink some water but she still seems just super sleeply! Could that be just because she was too cold? Am I over thinking this?

You may have been chilling her and she is tired now. If she is quiet and eating and drinking, she will probably be fine. Keep an eye on her and let us know late tonight or early morning how she is. Hopefully she was just cold.

Back
Top Bottom