Silkie chick OK first 3 days, now listless/not eating or drinking...anything I missed?

Adenium

Songster
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Connecticut
We got our 7 chicks from MPC Wednesday (hatched Monday). All were healthy and happy, drinking and eating and pooping, alternating between buzzing around and then taking little naps. All was well first thing this morning (now day 4) - I leave them with their dry crumbles all the time but give them moistened starter mash as a treat and they gobbled it up. Then they went to nap for a few minutes, and then a little bit later they all got up to have more mash from my hand but one little Silkie stayed in the corner.

I hoped she was just tired, but she's now been basically hanging out there all day. I had to dip her beak a few times to get her to drink. She stands with her head down or just sprawls. She chooses to go to the hottest corner even if I move her, but then sits with her wings out a little bit as if she's hot. It's 96 F right under the brooder lamp, and there's plenty of room to move further away in the box if she wants. I don't get it!
They were pulling out shavings from the edge of the paper towels yesterday, and pecking at them, but given that I had to crush the Purina starter for them to be able to eat it I doubt she managed to eat a shaving. I haven't seen her poop yet today, but I may have missed it. Her vent is clean.

They're eating medicated Purina Start & Grow, and I gave them tap water for a couple days while they were guzzling more, then decided to use the SavAChick electrolytes I'd bought starting yesterday morning. I can't imagine that hurt her - I mixed it up per directions. They're on TSC pine shavings in a big cardboard box. The other 6 seem to be doing great. We've been very careful with handwashing before and after contact.

I know sometimes chicks just don't do well, but I thought either we'd lose some immediately or in a few weeks when there's the coccidia possibility. Am I missing something or is this just one of those mystery things? Could she have parasites or anything this early, coming from a hatchery and being isolated indoors?

Anything I can do for her? I tried dabbing a little mash under her beak to see if she'd eat it, but she has no interest. Up until this morning she'd been going wild for it along with the other chicks. I'm so sad watching her in the corner. Thought we'd really gotten lucky so far, now maybe we're going to pay for our cautious optimism.

The silkie I hatched did the same thing. She hung her head like she couldn't support it, and would go into a weird sprawling position and couldn't eat.
I put sugar into their water. Just a couple pinches. Seriously, within 1 day, she begin perking up. She started being able to lift up her head up and eat again.

The sugar water idea came from the breeder of my chicks when I emailed her about it, she said it woks most of the time.
Give it a try! I hope your silkie gets better.

I want you to check something....place her in a towel lined box for a sec standing and see if she .... Tucking the head between legs
2. Tucking the head between legs and backing up
3. Tucking the head between legs and tumbling over
4. Walking in circles
5. Holding the head to one side
6. Loss of balance
if she does then its crook neck!!
Whick means she has had an injury to her brain and has swelling. This happens if a mate pecks another on the top of the head before the brain casing has a chance to grow and seal as the chick ages. Some use Selenium and vit E to cure this but........

If this is what she has.... then I would go to your vet and ask for a couple of 5 milligram prednisone tablets . You will take these tablets and cut them into 16 teeny pieces and feed the tiny pieces-
--First week-- once a day for the first week.....

--2nd week cut the remaining pieces in 1/2 again- and feed once a day..
--.3rd week feed feed a piece every other day then the
-- fourth week once every 3 days then just stop.
Make sure you are feeding the chick feed to your baby every hour. Its easier to mix the feed with sugar water and make it very wet and feed with a large end syring or eye dropper .

I haven't tried sugar water, but she's getting SavAChick with the vitamins and electrolytes. Can I add a little sugar to the mix? I can't really get her to drink, though - I dip her beak in (not up to the nostrils) and she shakes her head and moves her mouth a bit, but I'm not sure she really swallows as the "normal" chicks tip their heads back to swallow.

She is able to keep her balance to walk around, she preens her feathers, etc....but doesn't want to do much. Sits with her head down, not tucked under her legs but just down, or turned back to the side a little like they do when they're sleepy. She DID just walk around pecking at the stupid shavings when I just went up to offer more mash. She walked over to investigate what the others were eating, ate one tiny crumb, then went back to picking up shavings for fun. So it doesn't seem like crooked neck at this point, but I'll watch carefully.

She's not vaulted, none of the 4 seem to be. Can they get a head injury that easily if non-vaulted?

I still can't really tell if she's hot or cold. I raised the lamp a little bit and she seemed to perk up some, but then was just trying to tuck under the barred rock several times in a row as if she's cold. Can't figure this little chick out!

Thanks for your help, guys - I'm going to keep trying.

Yes adding sugar to the mix wouldn't hurt. But it seems you said that she is perking up a bit more now. I would continue dipping her beak into the water, a little encouragement should help.
I agree with silky ma.Your chick might have a slight brain injury if this persists.
In fact silky ma, I pretty sure that's what my chick had. She tucked her head between her legs and would back over and lose balance easily.. Wow. That just shed light onto my whole situation.
I hope your chick improves!

You think it might be a head injury even if she can walk around normally?

It's like she can but chooses not to. She could walk to my hand to eat, but she decides to carry shavings around instead. And then goes back to standing and napping.
I wouldn't think she'd been pecked - they occasionally poke at each others beaks but I haven't seen a single peck to the head.

Sigh. I had a feeling silkies might be trouble.

She ATE, DRANK, and POOPED!!!! :weee Unbelievable and vastly improved from 8 hrs ago. I'd just gone up there with a little syringe to try to get more fluids into her, and when I offered mash again she actually joined in. Then had a slightly watery poop, but the first I've seen today, and then when I tapped the waterer and everyone ran over to drink she finally came over and took a sip on her own. That's the first time she drank on her own all day.

I think perhaps she got too hot, but was too foolish to move away from the heat or let me move her. The others were completely fine, never huddled at the far edges or panting or anything. But she would run to the hottest spot and stay there, even when I set her at the opposite end and even replicated the rag she was using as her bed in the opposite corner. She's been steadily improving since I moved the lamp a little higher.

This just makes me paranoid for a week from now when I work two days in a row for 12-hr shifts. We have a wireless thermometer in there, but it's in an anti-poo plastic baggy and we're not sure how accurate it is. I read plenty of people suggesting you just go by how the chicks act and that's been what I've done, but this little Silkie didn't want to give any usual signs. Foofy bird!

I will feel a lot better when they're a few weeks older. Still lots of chances for disaster, but this little stage is just so delicate.....and these are our first and we hope not to have to replace them for a few years. They will all be keepers, laying or not.

I love any critter, even snakes, but my oh my how these little balls of cute have grabbed my heart. A couple slept on my chest when I lifted them out earlier. I melted. My cats hate me for the time I'm spending just watching these little babies eat, poop, breathe, run, and sleep. I'm trying to treasure every little moment of their chickhood since I know it lasts a short time. I want them to grow so I know they're doing well, but I certainly miss this tiny fluffy couldn't-be-any-sweeter stage.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I hope I don't need to revise this later with another downturn. :fl

She ATE, DRANK, and POOPED!!!!
wee.gif
Unbelievable and vastly improved from 8 hrs ago. I'd just gone up there with a little syringe to try to get more fluids into her, and when I offered mash again she actually joined in. Then had a slightly watery poop, but the first I've seen today, and then when I tapped the waterer and everyone ran over to drink she finally came over and took a sip on her own. That's the first time she drank on her own all day.
I think perhaps she got too hot, but was too foolish to move away from the heat or let me move her. The others were completely fine, never huddled at the far edges or panting or anything. But she would run to the hottest spot and stay there, even when I set her at the opposite end and even replicated the rag she was using as her bed in the opposite corner. She's been steadily improving since I moved the lamp a little higher.
This just makes me paranoid for a week from now when I work two days in a row for 12-hr shifts. We have a wireless thermometer in there, but it's in an anti-poo plastic baggy and we're not sure how accurate it is. I read plenty of people suggesting you just go by how the chicks act and that's been what I've done, but this little Silkie didn't want to give any usual signs. Foofy bird!
I will feel a lot better when they're a few weeks older. Still lots of chances for disaster, but this little stage is just so delicate.....and these are our first and we hope not to have to replace them for a few years. They will all be keepers, laying or not.
I love any critter, even snakes, but my oh my how these little balls of cute have grabbed my heart. A couple slept on my chest when I lifted them out earlier. I melted. My cats hate me for the time I'm spending just watching these little babies eat, poop, breathe, run, and sleep. I'm trying to treasure every little moment of their chickhood since I know it lasts a short time. I want them to grow so I know they're doing well, but I certainly miss this tiny fluffy couldn't-be-any-sweeter stage.
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I hope I don't need to revise this later with another downturn.
fl.gif
I'm so happy for you! Don't worry, you just got a hard group. Usually silkies are just delightful little guys! But your right, things will just get better as they get older. Enjoy your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom