Silkie Chick Twitches Head

Ducklord123

Chirping
Mar 31, 2020
Hello!
I wasnt sure where to post this but this is hopefully the wright place.
I got 2 chicks about 6 weeks ago and one was a silkie, the little silkie had a head twitch. it would twitch its head every time there was a loud noise and I looked online but found nothing saying it was bad just some thing about it being a silkie thing. So I've waited to see if it will go. the chick is still twitching its head when I make any sound but other than that its fine. I'm just asking if there are any silkie experts who may be able to tell me what's going on and maybe help others who are worrying about their little babies as well!
If anyone knows what's going on that would be amazing because I've asked google but just become more confused!
Thanks! :)

Does it have a domed skull? Silkies in general can be more prone to head trauma, and brain injuries. A simple peck to the skull can be harmful to some silkies.

Is it's sight obscured? Have you checked it's head for wounds, and it's eyes. Can it see well? Does it react to movement.

Two of my silkies have done this. Not wry neck and I still have no idea what it was. My guess was maybe...hair in line of vision that impaired their focus? Make sure it ISN’T wry neck or another neurological issue, but otherwise if they’re like mine, they may just grow out of it!

Thanks for your suggestion!
My Bird can see fine, it is responsive and will do anything for food, it runs round with the other chick as well. Apart from the twitching head when there is noise it acts like any other chick. I can check its ears and head later and see what I find!

I took in a rooster that had this problem since a chick the guy said, I think it may have been vitamin deficiencies so just make sure you are feeding a nutritious diet of proper chicken feed plus add some poultry vitamins in the water... If that's not the case and vitamins doesnt help then possibly a previous injury to the head may have caused it.
Also have you dewormed them? That could also be a cause for twitching... Or mites?

My chick has a mix of chick crumb and growers pellets as well as some meal worms for treats. when the weather is good they go outside and get lots of clover and dandelions. I can try and give it some vitamins but not sure where to get them. what type of vitamins are good?

My chick has a mix of chick crumb and growers pellets as well as some meal worms for treats. when the weather is good they go outside and get lots of clover and dandelions. I can try and give it some vitamins but not sure where to get them. what type of vitamins are good?
Sounds like you have them on a great healthy diet 😀 Not sure where you are from but I'm in Australia and we have poultry vitamins at the local feedstore.

I looked at its ears but they seemed fine, its quite hard to tell with the big fluffy feathers! my chick likes its head to be stroked so I don't think it had a head injury. Ill check to see if they sell vitamins where we get their feed from!

Back
Top Bottom