Silkie chick with limp

h3nnyp3nny!

Songster
Aug 28, 2017
I have a 5 month old silkie chick who's been having some issues with her right foot. I've had my eye on it for a while now, since she's been kind of wobbly, but today when I went outside to check on her, she had a pretty bad limp. We've checked and rechecked her foot and leg and haven't seen or felt anything wrong with it. There's no sign of injury or bumblefoot. She went to the vet a few days ago to get her crossbeak trimmed and the vet took a look at her to see if anything was wrong with her leg. The vet didn't find anything wrong either. She's eating, drinking, talking, and otherwise healthy, but she definitely hasn't been wanting to stand very much lately. She'll get up to go get treats or forage, and last night she was perching, but she doesn't want to put much weight on her foot and kind of kicks it up high in the air. Do you think she could have sprained it or pulled a muscle or something??? She's a little bit of an odd ball chicken and her extra toes don't point up like they should, and point down instead. Her extra toe on her right foot also kind of fuses with her normal back toe. Could that maybe be messing with her a little??? Any help is appreciated!

This is quite odd. Can you post some pictures of her toes?
I'm notching she has a lot of odd issues. Fused toes, dumb leg, cross beak, odd toes, it sounds like there may have been some substantial issues with incubation. Incubation temperatures that are off or inconsistent can cause curled toes, splayed leg, and other issues. Were did you get her? Sounds like it may be something she hatched with along with all these other issues.
I'm not entirely sure though. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous

I'll have to get some pics tomorrow since it's dark right now, but we got her and her sister from a lady and her daughter on Craigslist. They gave a description of the hen, though not so much of the rooster, and posted pictures of them both. It seemed trustworthy, with the information they gave, since the hen didn’t have any deformities, though they didn’t say if the rooster did or not. Her sister is perfectly normal, no deformities or anything. When we got them, the one with the odd toes(we call her Bagel) had a crusted over eye, but that went away a few days later and never came back. We figure that she just had an odd mishap with her genes and the way she hatched.

I'll have to get some pics tomorrow since it's dark right now, but we got her and her sister from a lady and her daughter on Craigslist. They gave a description of the hen, though not so much of the rooster, and posted pictures of them both. It seemed trustworthy, with the information they gave, since the hen didn’t have any deformities, though they didn’t say if the rooster did or not. Her sister is perfectly normal, no deformities or anything. When we got them, the one with the odd toes(we call her Bagel) had a crusted over eye, but that went away a few days later and never came back. We figure that she just had an odd mishap with her genes and the way she hatched.
Possibly, did she incubate the eggs her self? If so its very possible that the incubator wasn't reliable. Most incubators temperatures are off, its likely that she didn't calibrate the incubator. You never know what your getting into with Craigslist.

Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Hopefully it is an injury. Using some human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily crushed into food or a little water may be helpful.
Not that I know of. I'm hoping it's not that. It doesn't seem like mareks, since she can still use her leg normally and walk on it. We've just started giving her vitamin B, and we still have other vitamins leftover from a chick I had last year who had curly toes that we can give her too.

Possibly, did she incubate the eggs her self? If so its very possible that the incubator wasn't reliable. Most incubators temperatures are off, its likely that she didn't calibrate the incubator. You never know what your getting into with Craigslist.
I think they incubated the eggs themselves. We don't usually buy chicks through Craigslist, but we had a hen who wasn't breaking of her broodiness and had already been sitting for two weeks, and there were no stores in town that were still selling chicks.

I've got a silkie rooster that does this from time to time. Have you checked over the feather follicles around the tender area or felt for a warm place on her leg and foot? My rooster will get ingrown feathers from time to time and his started fairly young. It's worth a look but may not be this. I wish you the best ❤️

I've got a silkie rooster that does this from time to time. Have you checked over the feather follicles around the tender area or felt for a warm place on her leg and foot? My rooster will get ingrown feathers from time to time and his started fairly young. It's worth a look but may not be this. I wish you the best ❤️
I did notice a pretty big glob of thick-shafted feathers growing together out of her small outside toe that I thought could maybe be causing discomfort. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom