Silkie chicks...are they all hyper and silly?? *PICS Added by request*

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
First time hatching silkie chicks...I'm used to the laid back cochin babies that don't even peep.

These 9 day old chicks are ridiculously hyper, jumpy, LOUD...can't stand noise, movement or anything changed in their brooder or they run around like idiots.

Honestly...I just moved their brooder 2 feet to another wall and put a different light over them (same wattage bulb) and one of them was actually spinning in circles for about 10 seconds.

Most of them are vaulted with pom=pom heads...is this why??

Last edited by a moderator:
In a word...YES! Mine were the same way when they were young. But then one day, out of the blue, they did a 360 and became soooooo laid back and craved attention/affection. I didn't like them much at first, but now I'm in love with them...wouldn't take anything for them.
love.gif

Oh, I'm so glad. I bought the eggs to hatch these babies for my daughter's grandmother. I was beginning to think that this might not be the best breed, but she has always talked about silkie, so I thought I would surprise her. I'm the one that has been surprised!!
smile.png

Hang in there....they'll come around. Once the "fluff" starts growing into their line of sight, they calm down!
gig.gif
Then they want you to hold them all the time so something doesn't sneak up on them.
lau.gif

Your daughter's grandmother will love them when they get mature.
love.gif

OH, thanks so much.

I'm having to disburse everything except the blacks. They are at my DD's house and the Army came knocking...she is leaving in May for counter-intel school for 5-8 months. When she gets back she'll have one more semester at the University of Florida where we live (Go Gators!!...National Champs
smile.png
) and then she'll be off to grad school/getting married.

Quote:
You must be very proud OTG. She sounds like an amazing young woman. I saw your post to sell those white cochins...and my heart fell to the floor.
ep.gif
Pumpkinpup and LockedHearts are very lucky to get them. I know you're doing what's best, but I will still send my condolences to you for needing to sell those beauties.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom