Silkie - Clear mucus in sinus and nares

abot87

Chirping
Apr 9, 2016
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi all,

For the past few days my silkie pullet has been having some clear mucus coming from her nares. A few times her nares have crusted over but that's from the food (crumbles) dust.

HOWEVER...

A few moments ago she started dripping water from her nose after eating and drinking. A closer look revealed watery eyes, but that could have been hair caught in her eyes, which I just cut - she's quite fluffy.

Naturally I freaked out and grabbed her head, forced open her beak and peeked inside with a torch.

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary growing in there, but what I found was that she has a blob of gel-like mucus on her sinuses with a single strand of blood in it. I've removed most of the mucus and now she seems okay, but I'm worried.

The vet in my area isn't clued up on chickens so it comes down to me to medicate her. I've ordered the following items from a vet supply store, but they'll only deliver in 6 days.

Coliprim 200ml
Stresspacks
Tramisol 200ml
Fosbac Plus T 50g
New Castle Vaccine
Gumboro Vaccine

Items out of stock (but on order) are:
Salmonella Vaccine
Pox Vaccine
Bronchitis Vaccine

I don't know if all the vaccines and meds are overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Please let me know what you suspect the problem could be and what I can do to prevent death as it'd break my heart.

Hi there.

Quick update...

My silkies runny nose seems to have dried up somewhat but there is still a tiny amount of clear discharge from her nares and her sinuses look clear of gel-like mucus. She sneezed thrice tonight (a first for me) but seems to be good otherwise.

Paranoid that she might get cold through the night, as the temp here has dropped to 41 deg fahrenheit, I've added a extra towel in her basket as well as a electric water bottle.

Hoping someone will give some advice soon.

Hi.

Another update.

My silkies nose seems to be under control and no visible mucus inside her mouth, but now shes not eating. The odd crumb but nothing more and her crop is empty.

There was some blood in her droppings earlier but it looked like shedded intestinal lining. If she has another similar stool I'll take a picture for safety.

She's drinking water but nothing else.

Her eyes are clear and bright but she's very sleepy. I'll take her for a walk in the garden once it warms up outside.

I'm going to try and get my hands on a stress pack for vitamins and minerals. I hope that will hive her a bit of an energy boost.

I've never force fed a chicken so if it comes down to it I'll have to find a avian vet somewhere.

Hi there.

Quick update #3.

My silkie still has a runny nose, with minimal discharge, but the nares still require cleaning at least once daily for blockages. The sneezing however has progresses to multiple times daily.

I've given her Fosbac Plus T antibiotic and she seems to be recovering.

Her appetite has increased, she's still heavy on water as always and her droppings have returned to a more solid state with the occasionally expected messy cecal poop.

Another update to follow when day 2 of treatment is concluded.

Back
Top Bottom