Silkie cockerel or pullet? 3 months old

Pics
The tail and the leakage in the wing feathers makes me lean more male now. I’m so confused!!!
I still am! The leakage is mostly light colour but some tiny bits dark orange... The crest usually is pulled back by the comb now at 4 months old so that confuses me. And I can see streamers, but I have heard that females can have those too although rare...
Tail does look like male for sure.
..Maybe Biscuit cockerel is confused too since I saw him this morning side shuffle around Easter again!! 🤔

I still am! The leakage is mostly light colour but some tiny bits dark orange... The crest usually is pulled back by the comb now at 4 months old so that confuses me. And I can see streamers, but I have heard that females can have those too although rare...
Tail does look like male for sure.
..Maybe Biscuit cockerel is confused too since I saw him this morning side shuffle around Easter again!! 🤔
Im still holding out hope!

By 4 months I would usually see a cockerel attempt at mating, crowing and a prominent comb and also the other rooster/s would show aggressive behaviour and scare off another cockerel from food and from being around his hens... I have seen NONE of that behaviour! The roosters stand beside Easter eating and foraging, not one attempt to peck or fight Easter at all.
So, super submissive cockerel?? Or weird super cute cockerel looking pullet!?
.. who does just love its head being patted!! :love

By 4 months I would usually see a cockerel attempt at mating, crowing and a prominent comb and also the other rooster/s would show aggressive behaviour and scare off another cockerel from food and from being around his hens... I have seen NONE of that behaviour! The roosters stand beside Easter eating and foraging, not one attempt to peck or fight Easter at all.
So, super submissive cockerel?? Or weird super cute cockerel looking pullet!?
.. who does just love its head being patted!! :love
Also, pretty small... i don't know.. im thinking extra fancy girl.

For a long time I thought your sweet little Easter could be a girl. But now I think Easter is a boy. I'm doing so because of an experience with my little flock: last Friday my Babette started crowing (I will write about this in the Silkie thread). 'She' is the one with the roundest and fluffiest crest of all ('her' nickname: Dandelion) and 'her' behaviour never was like the behaviour from my - confirmed - cockerells.
Seeing Easter's crest reminds me so much of my Babette's...so round and full and those soft, evenly distributed fluffs like a dandelion.
Oh and you mentioned Easter's feet. Babette's feet are really big and strong.
And yeah...the red leakage...

RIMG1458.JPG

(Babette will be 4 month old in several days. Oh, and he is now called Kasimir.)

But I hope I'm wrong!

For a long time I thought your sweet little Easter could be a girl. But now I think Easter is a boy. I'm doing so because of an experience with my little flock: last Friday my Babette started crowing (I will write about this in the Silkie thread). 'She' is the one with the roundest and fluffiest crest of all ('her' nickname: Dandelion) and 'her' behaviour never was like the behaviour from my - confirmed - cockerells.
Seeing Easter's crest reminds me so much of my Babette's...so round and full and those soft, evenly distributed fluffs like a dandelion.
Oh and you mentioned Easter's feet. Babette's feet are really big and strong.
And yeah...the red leakage...

View attachment 2784445
(Babette will be 4 month old in several days. Oh, and he is now called Kasimir.)

But I hope I'm wrong!
Yeah I think Easter might be a boy too, but then I don't at the same time (maybe that's just hope!) but find it really strange that the roosters don't mind Easter being around.

Yeah I think Easter might be a boy too, but then I don't at the same time (maybe that's just hope!) but find it really strange that the roosters don't mind Easter being around.
Yeah that's really interesting!
I don't have an adult rooster, so I don't know what reactions my Babette/Kasimir would have caused in adults. From his behaviour towards us and his hatchmates we really were confinced him to be a pullet - he likes being taken up and hold and insists on it, is talkative (always chattering and communicating with 'tiiiiii' sounds) and loves interaction (we once had visitors and Babette sat for hours on the arm of the man). He sometimes had arguments with a pullet - but when getting in conflict with Sindbad or Snowman he reacted like the pullets react in such a case.
But - he was always the biggest and heaviest 'pullet'. And leg length, leg fluff and body posture was kind of compareable to Snowman's, especially watched from behind. And 'her' eyes and look were kind of similar to Snowman's, but because of the fluffy crest this was not present.
Only several days before the crowing started I showed my parents that little Babette got a mulberry colored comb and tiny wattles...
- picture of when we still thought Babette to be a girl:
RIMG1439.JPG

Back
Top Bottom