Silkie color help please - not what i was expecting!

Lynn_Farm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
SE Michigan
I was told that these eggs would hatch either white or buff. I've had white and buff silkies chicks before and they looked nothing like this. Had two main color patterns hatch. One is a lemony yellow with grey chipmunk stripes down the backside. The other is a greyish, also with a chipmunk pattern, though not as apparent as the yellow. What colors do I have?
IMG00172-20100607-16131.jpg

Last edited:
i have raised silkies for a long time and they are nothing like i have ever hatched. looks like to me they maybe some cross blood in there somewhere

Thank you for the input. I purchased them from a reputable breeder of show quality stock & for what I paid for the eggs...just hoping they aren't crossed with anything else
sad.png
. They all have silkie features (vaulted skulls, five toes, silkie feathering). Any other ideas? Also attached another photo...
IMG00175-20100607-20271.jpg

I think they are sooo unique and beautiful!!! The look to me like they will be splashes... definitely don't look buff to me and they have much more grey than my white silkies...

I don't know if you were hoping for white/buff, but i think it's wonderful you got such unique babies!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! They're very sweet chicks. From the top pic, it does make the darker ones appear to be splashes, but the facial markings are becoming more apparent and lead me to believe that they are partridge. Now just need to figure out what the light ones are...

NOT!!! splash. Greys, partridge (I doubt as I don't see brown), lavender or porcelain. I don't have experience with lavender chicks, but understand some have chipmunk stripes and some do not. What are they supposed to be?

edited to add: never mind, I see that they were supposed to be white or buff. By any chance were buffs and whites mixed together in the parent-stock?

Last edited:
The darker ones look like greys, and the whitish ones look like something that I hatched out for a friend from a mixed flock. I can't remember exactly what they turned out to be, but they were mostly white as adults with some off coloring.

Edited to add: I found pics of those chicks...

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom