Silkie color help Please! Pics..

happytraylz

Chirping
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Southern Maine
Hi there, newish to Silkie Breeding, and I know basic colors, trying to improve. I hatched some eggs from a couple of breeders with show stock, and have youngsters I am trying to decide on. Some of their colors I am not sure of, and not sure if they would be good to add to my flock. They are loosing their chick fuzz, and look a lil goofy, and don't like to sit for pics. Any help is greatly appreciated..
big_smile.png

93393_silkie1.jpg

93393_silkie2.jpg

93393_silkie3.jpg

93393_silkie4.jpg

93393_silkie5.jpg

Quote:
#1 pet rooster splash buff
#2buff
#3grey
#4partridge
#5buff
looks lie the breeder added blue to there buffs to hide smutt some my buffs have splash fearthers if u look closely

Quote:
buffs are hard i would grow then out before i desided that was white or not it could be light buff in the chicks it easier to breed to get darker then light er buff

Last edited:
Well I'll give this my best guess, mainly for fun. I am just learning all the silkie colors, so this is more of a free bump for you and I'm sure someone will come along and correct me.

Here are my guesses:
#1 Looks like a paint. Many paint roos have a lot of champagne frosting, which looks similar that, but also has black spotting. I think I see black spot on the back of that roo near the tail. If it has additional black spots, I would guess it's a paint. If that's what it is, ideally the spots should be kept and the frosting should be bred out.
#2 Buff
#3 Grey
#4 really light Buff

Quote:
more then like #1 came out a buff pen that carries blue to hide black smutt

That would make sense since it looks a lot like #4, but the black spotting threw me off... Haven't noticed that on buffs before - but I haven't seen that many buffs either...

IMO, #1 looks nothing like the champagne colouring on paints; it looks much too red. It actually looks along the lines of red pyle, but that could indeed be from buff plus splash rather than red plus dominant white.

Back
Top Bottom