silkie cross chick?

Aroz26

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 3, 2012
This is a photo of one of my two week old chicks. The hen was a Buff Sussex But I'm unsure who the father was. As you can see it appears to be a lavender colour but shows a few silkie traits so I'm wondering if my white silkie roo could be the father? Someone was trying to explain to me the silver gene in silkies but am unsure if that's what is happening here. Is it possible to get this colour offspring from a white silkie roo to a buff sussex hen?

That chicks father is your silkie.

[FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]White[FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]:
There is a dominant white and there is a recessive white. White is referred to as the absence of color. There is absolutely no way to tell the two apart at hatch. You must wait to breed the birds to reveal recessive or dominant white. A dominant white genetic will overpower and remain white
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]whereas the recessive gene will sometime reveal another color. [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif] White offspring are born pale yellow to white and [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]sometimes with a smoky gray tint.[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]Genetic Code: I = Dominant White/c = Recessive White
Breed Examples
[FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]: White Leghorn, Texas A & M Quail, &White Chinese Geese[/FONT][/FONT]

http://hpbaa.com/Genetics.html

Last edited:
That makes sense, so it looks like our white silkie roo has finally become a dad! lol

Thanks, it is my favourite too :) Knowing my luck it will end up being a rooster lol but we live in the country so I will probably keep him. I just love the colour!

Back
Top Bottom