silkie cross chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aroz26, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Aroz26

Aroz26 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    This is a photo of one of my two week old chicks. The hen was a Buff Sussex But I'm unsure who the father was. As you can see it appears to be a lavender colour but shows a few silkie traits so I'm wondering if my white silkie roo could be the father? Someone was trying to explain to me the silver gene in silkies but am unsure if that's what is happening here. Is it possible to get this colour offspring from a white silkie roo to a buff sussex hen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    That chicks father is your silkie.

[FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]White[FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]:
    There is a dominant white and there is a recessive white. White is referred to as the absence of color. There is absolutely no way to tell the two apart at hatch. You must wait to breed the birds to reveal recessive or dominant white. A dominant white genetic will overpower and remain white
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]whereas the recessive gene will sometime reveal another color. [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif] White offspring are born pale yellow to white and [/FONT][FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]sometimes with a smoky gray tint.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]Genetic Code: I = Dominant White/c = Recessive White
    Breed Examples
    [FONT=Garamond, Times, Serif]: White Leghorn, Texas A & M Quail, &White Chinese Geese[/FONT][/FONT]

http://hpbaa.com/Genetics.html

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Aroz26

Aug 3, 2012
    That makes sense, so it looks like our white silkie roo has finally become a dad! lol

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That chick is sooo cute!

5. Aroz26

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks, it is my favourite too :) Knowing my luck it will end up being a rooster lol but we live in the country so I will probably keep him. I just love the colour!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by