Silkie cross? Pics

oops! I was posting just as you were...

THANKS! and your welcome!

smile.png

True and I have heard that that question can take months to answer with silkies! Oh well they are fun, I have 2 that color and one that looks black. I hope they are silkies!

Quote:
possible in second crosses, and yours is a grey.

So how do you tell if its a cross? Wait for it to completely feather out?

Heres a link to a silkie website I found.

If you scroll down to the very bottom their are variable color silkie chicks.

http://www.windchyme.com/Images/Chickens/Silkie Chicks/index.htm

The 'splash' shown on there looked mostly white to me though....I clicked on it to enlarge the photo and I can see the black in it, but its sparse.... They are like puppies, theres a certain breed standard, but not all meet it 100%

cool.png

...wait till they feather out and see what they look like. They may be pure silkies, they may not. But I would think they are.

Last edited:
Quote:
Both those sites were very informative. But I agree to the novices eye Blues and blacks look remarkably alike.

I assume my darker one is black but who knows!

Way back at the beginning of this thread. The "frayed" feathers are the way silkie feathers look as they open up. As nz said, a 2nd generation cross can give silkie feathering. However I would call that pure silkie--it has silkie feathering, dark skin & eyes and feathered feet. I can't see how many toes ther are.

Cuckoo is a colour/variety, not necessarily a cuckoo marans, and that bird looks nothing like cuckoo patterned bird. Nor does it look splash. It is closest to grey, but not quite that either.

Greys have multiple laced/penciled feathers. The hue is different--shades of black and white.

Blues have a bit of a blue/slate hue to them, and have a single lacing around the edge of each feather.

Cuckoo have black and white striped feathers--think barred, but fuzzy, like the barring is drawn freehand with a crayon, not a straight edge & marker.

Blues vary in shade from nearly as light as lavender to nearly as dark as black. Most prefer something in between.

Back
Top Bottom