Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
was the hen a RIR or a red sex link(ISA brown)?

I don't know for sure - the friend i got the eggs from said the mum was a RIR, and that's what the bird looked like to me. Perhaps there would be a genetic throwback somewhere eg a grandparent? Doris has black skin like my other full Silkie, if that makes any difference?

By the way, I have loved looking at everyone's pictures :)

Hello,
I would like to introduce 'Doris', who is a Silkie x RIR. She's 20 weeks old, yet to lay an egg, and this is her favorite place to be in the garden. I love her to bits :)

To me your bird looks like a splash or diluted blue. Blue can be a diluted black when crossed. In the genetic process of colors some colors are hidden underneath the most dominate color. A red colored bird can be a hiding another color just as a black bird. And a white bird, unless it has two copies of DOMINATE white is hiding other colors underneath. Also remember that every gene has two such as color gene has two copies and each can be a different color. If birds are not "pure" bred that they will not always look like the parents.

I'll try this again. In colors each bird has two color genes. Gene are either dominate or recessive. The gene for black skin is dominate. Birds can has two of the same color gene or two different ones. Oh I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Adding to the above, your splash silkie mix is very pretty and I have a incubated a few that look like her because my main rooster is a big blue Silkie. I have lots of blue, black splash birds. Also recessive white ameraucanas to make EEs. cause different color eggs are fun also.

STRIKING !
this is the cross that i want to do.
please tell the male/female feather patterns.
how did the parents get along ? = they're polar opposite breeds.
who's personality did it get

robert braun  [email protected]

He is from a silver spangled Hamburg hen and a blue or black silkie roo. The parents get along just fine and are very friendly. We've hatched a few of these this year and are very pleased with them. They're only four months old now and we're anxious to see how they mature. They are good flyers and can be a little hard to catch at times, but once you do catch them they are very sweet.

The SSH /silkie cross sounds like an interesting cross. I think that I will try it as I have both breeds. My Blue Silkie Rooster needs to learn some finesse though. He is a bit too sloppy when mounting the girls. He try to stop them in action by attacking their heads and swinging himself onto their back. I could rename him cowboy instead of Victor, but I am hoping that he would mellow out.

Back
Top Bottom